Using FUSE and kernel compile problems

Help
2007-07-06
2013-05-09
  • Hi,

I am using the Gentoo 2007 image with coLinux 0.7.1. The kernel that ships with this version is 2.6.12 with coLinux patches. I would like to use FUSE with coLinux: however, the coLinux kernel does not have fuse support, and the kernel sources are not part of the distribution. The Gentoo fuse ebuild needs kernel sources for the running kernel to compile.

I downloaded the source package for coLinux 0.7.1 and applied the kernel patches on a vanilla 2.6.12, and built vmlinux on it based on instructions elsewhere in this wiki. However, when I try to use the vmlinux that I built, it immediately reboots my Vista/XP machine (I tried both on XP as well as Vista). I cannot use the fuse module built with the patched kernel source code with the shipping kernel due to version differences.

Is there a ready-built fuse kernel module for coLinux 0.7.1? If not, is there a way I can get the source tree for the kernel shipping with 0.7.1?

Thanks

• Henry N.
      Henry N.
      2007-07-06

For building your kernel (or modules) should read the file doc/building in coLinux source. Here is a copy of this file: http://www.henrynestler.com/colinux/source/0.7.1-doc/building.txt
      If you recompile the kernel, be sure, that you don't enable some hardware specifig devices (for example on the PCI-Bus). You should use the coLinux default config and than enable only your needed software driver (fuse).
      The crash can have many depens: Wrong compiler mix, non enabled colinux in kernel config, old kernel source with DEP/noexecute problem, and many more ...

Have compiled with fuse here:
      http://www.henrynestler.com/colinux/testing/devel-0.8.0/20070706-gcc412-fuse/

The kernel have tested, module can load (is no crashing). Fuse, I can not test.
      Please mail me, if FUSE is working there, then can enable by default.

And please remember: This is coLinux 0.8.0 with new kernel. You must reload the driver
        cd old-colinux-dir
        colinux-daemon.exe --remove-driver
        cd new-colinux-dir
        colinux-daemon.exe --install-driver