How to make reboot work.

goodwill
2004-08-28
2013-05-09
  • goodwill
    goodwill
    2004-08-28

I am a linux newbie, but here is my understanding of the reboot procedure.

After the TERM signals have been sent to processes, a similar one goes out to hardware that runs the system right?

Woudl it then be possible to to have colinux-daemon return a code that indicated that a system has been rebooted.

After that simple batch file will suffice to restart the service/rerun the application.

Does anyone this make sense?

• Hi there!

I'm not sure of what point you're trying to make... but I'll try to extrapolate on your statements and questions.

> After the TERM signals have been sent to processes, a
      > similar one goes out to hardware that runs the system
      > right?

Not sure of what you mean: TERM signals are software only !?! In the case of CoLinux, the Windows service is stopped.

> Woudl it then be possible to to have colinux-daemon
      > return a code that indicated that a system has been
      > rebooted.

CoLinux runs as a Windows network service. It is better to monitor the service from within Windows. When you start the service, Linux thinks that you just powered up the computer.

>After that simple batch file will suffice to restart the
      > service/rerun the application.

By "restart the service", I assume you mean CoLinux. Yes, you can do this.

What applications do you have in mind in "rerun the application"? If you mean Linux apps, you can always restart them in /etc/rc.local or in cron (see man crontab, section 1).

Hope it helps
        Olivier

• goodwill
        goodwill
        2004-08-31

I was not specifically talking about running it as a service though the same concept would apply.

I should have been more precise.
        All I meant is that it would be nice if colinux exited with a specific error code if it has received a reboot signal from linux its running.

I do not know if thats possible but I am guessing that an equivalent of TERM signal that software gets that is sent to hardware. if colinuix would be able to catch that  it could exit with a specific error code. Based on that a wrapper batchfile/programm around the colinux
        daemon program would read and rerun colinux if it was a rebbot system.

• Lucy Gorder
      Lucy Gorder
      2005-08-07

i see 2 ways to do this ...

1 ( the freindly way ) - send a "service restart" to windows insted of killing the service.

2 ( no friendly but may be only choice ) - send a service died error code to the service and use windows " what to do incase of failure" setting of the service to kick it back off.