coLinux 0.7.8 SMP? Yes or No?

Jens
2011-03-30
2013-05-09
  • Jens

Jens - 2011-03-30

Hi All,

I was hoping that someone here can clear up the SMP support story.  I have installed 0.7.8 on an i7 PC.

Will the images that I use run SMP? I got the ubuntu 9.04 image running but from what I can see there is only 1 cpu.

cat /proc/cpuinfo only has 1 CPU listed. Normally there would be 8.

I tried to set COLINUX_NO_SMP_WORKAROUND=Y in the batch file that starts colinux-deamon.exe but that doesn't seem to have any affect.

Can someone please give a summary on the state of the SMP? What can I expect? I want to use coLinux with CentOS as a replacement to cygwin.

Thanks,
    Jens.

• Jens

Jens - 2011-03-30

BTW, I have read the forum and mailing list but the SMP support is unclear.

Thanks.

• Henry N.

Henry N. - 2011-03-30

coLinux supports only one cpu for guest. There exist no SMP support for the Linux side.

With 'COLINUX_NO_SMP_WORKAROUND=Y' coLinux runs on all processors. But, here it means on the host (Windows) side. Without this option the Windows task colinux-daemon.exe will claim only on CPU0.

• Jens

Jens - 2011-03-31

Hi henryn,

Thank you very much for the clarification.

Regards,
    Jens.

• ZELJKO BLACE

ZELJKO BLACE - 2011-05-02

hi All,
    Does this mean that under 2 CPU machine on windows 2000 it can take 2nd PC… if so how do I do this?

btw - I am stuck running Windows 2000 on my SGI 320 workstation as it is proprietary hardware and bios
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SGI_Visual_Workstation#Operating_system

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks