Java2Cobol ?

palich
2007-09-13
2013-05-13
  • palich

palich - 2007-09-13

Hey. Cool stuff this project. What's about the direction "Java to Cobol". What if I need to write EBCDIC with packed field in a Java program? Can your library be used for this? If not, are the concepts adaptable? I appreciate your help!

• Paweł Mączka

Paweł Mączka - 2007-09-15

I have never thought that "way" :) Can you confirm real need ? Or it is "just an idea" to reverse the river? ;) ... but seriously: cobol2j is not able to write ebcdic files. For sure I can imagine the need to feed cobol program with todays data from pc or sql. But frankly - the only common thing for cobol2j and java2cobol is  a "background". i mean the knowledge about file structure. Library is useless for that. I would appreciate if you could bring some real need example for such java2cobol application if you have.

Paweł

• Pawel Maczka

Pawel Maczka - 2008-09-12

Writing to cobol/ebcdic files is now being implemented. I am looking for interested people to use/test. It is almost ready. Wow, I will have to change project description again!

• Gustavo Soriano

Gustavo Soriano - 2008-12-16

Hi! I have some information in a MS SQL Server 2000 and I need to create a EBCDIC binary file to work as an interface to a COBOL program in a mainframe.

I have the copybook, with all the file structure, and I was wondering if I could use this library to generate the file that I need. If it is possible, can you please explain me how to use your library?

Thank you for your help.

Gustavo.

• Gustavo Soriano

Gustavo Soriano - 2008-12-16

Hi again. I was using the cb2xc2j.bat and I get this error message:

C:\IBK\cobol2j-1.5.1>cb2xc2j.bat TEST.CPY

C:\IBK\cobol2j-1.5.1>REM Usage:
      cb2xc2j.bat <copybook.cpy>

C:\IBK\cobol2j-1.5.1>java -cp .;
      lib\xalan.jar;lib\serializer.jar;lib\xml-apis.jar;lib\cb2xml2cobol2j.jar;lib\com
      mons-logging-1.1.1.jar;lib\xercesImpl.jar;lib\cobol2j-1.5.1.jar;lib\cb2xml.jar;l
      ib\jaxb-impl-2.1.8.jar;lib\jaxb-api-2.2.jar net.sf.cobol2j.examples.Cb2xc2j TEST.CPY  1>TEST.CPY.xc2j
      *** using start column = 0, end column = 72
      Exception in thread "main" net.sf.cb2xml.sablecc.parser.ParserException: [2,1] e
      xpecting: '.'
              at net.sf.cb2xml.sablecc.parser.Parser.parse(Parser.java:410)
              at net.sf.cobol2j.examples.Cb2xc2j.main(Cb2xc2j.java:49)

Can you please explain me why I'm getting this error?
      Thank you.

Gustavo.

• Anonymous - 2012-11-14

Is it possible to convert a xml data structure into ebcdic format? And if so, can you please give me an example how to do this?

Thank you

Thomas

• Pawel Maczka

Pawel Maczka - 2012-11-14

Yes, with api if you read somehow your xml data then use cobol2j api to write dat file.

• Anonymous - 2012-11-15

Can you please give me an example how to do this. I don't find any hints in documentation or source code. You can also send me an example to tzimber(at)e2e.ch

Thank you
    Thomas

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks