Menu

Where to get my domain password??

mat
2009-02-24
2013-05-23
  • mat

mat - 2009-02-24

Hi,

I just joined a company where they are in a domain environment. I was issued a laptop, given two passwords, one for email and the other for logging in to the laptop. On the windows login screen, the domain has been preselected. After logging in, I can open the Internet Explorer (proxy settings have been defined as well) and browse the internet.

I'm assuming they are using single sign on NTLM environment as I don't have to enter my passwords when visiting protected websites which are pre-bookemarked already as well.

Now down to business:

I've set up a linux box somewhere on the other side of the planet. I need to get both proxytunnel and CNTLM to work or maybe just the CNTLM. I need to get the information you need in order to help me.

I suppose I need to run -M to get the supported authentications on the proxy, right?
    I passed my username:password on the command line but I'm not getting anywhere.
    Quick question. My domain username and password is the same credentials I'm using when logging in to my laptop, right??? Just FYI, I managed to get admin rights to the laptop by resetting the admin password. If there's anything I can do with those rights in order to give you enough information, just let me know..

Thanks.

• nosneros

nosneros - 2009-02-26

Hi,

> My domain username and password is the same credentials I'm using when logging in to my laptop, right???

This is true for my case. I took the stock /etc/cntlm.conf file (from the .deb) and just changed my login name, my domain, my password, and the proxy servers and restarted the daemon.

For your proxy settings in Internet Explorer, do you have an autoproxy configuration URL (.pac file)? You can open that file and find which proxy connects you to the outside internet (mine was the last one returned at the bottom). I was able to use that proxy successfully with cntlm.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you're able to use the tunnel; I may try that later on if I have time.

Regards,
      nosneros

• mat

mat - 2009-02-26

Everything is working now. We don't use the proxy autoconfiguration, however the IE does NTLM authentication first before you can use the proxy. It uses the domain credentials you use when logging in to the laptop for the first time. The good thing about our proxy is that it allows you to CONNECT to any port so creating a tunnel forwarded to my ssh server is also created whenever I'm starting cntlm. Then all I have to do is to open  up Putty, ssh to localhost on the port opened up by cntlm and create another tunnel which will forward everything to my external proxy server. Last thing to do now is to set the  browser to use the proxy port created by Putty and it will automatically forward all traffic into my external proxy.