Possible bug determining text dimensions

• David Morse

David Morse - 2011-08-12

I have a question about a segment of code in org.pdfclown.documents.contents.objects.ShowText:

NOTE: The text rendering matrix is recomputed before each glyph is painted
      during a text-showing operation.
    Matrix trm = ctm.Clone(); trm.Multiply™;
    float charHeight = font.GetHeight(textChar,fontSize);
    drawing::RectangleF charBox = new drawing::RectangleF(
      contextHeight - trm.Elements - font.GetAscent(fontSize) * tm.Elements,
      charWidth * tm.Elements,
      charHeight * tm.Elements

This code multiplies the Current Transform Matrix by the Text Matrix to compute the Text Render Matrix. The charBox is then computed using a combination of the Text Render Matrix and the original Text Matrix. I would think that it should only be using the Text Render Matrix in its computations.

In my PDF that I am using to extract text, the coordinates reported for text have a correct X, a slightly incorrect Y, and the width and height are way off (as compared to the output of iText and Foxit PDF Editor). If I modify this code to use the Text Render Matrix for all computations, i get results consistent with iText. In my example my Current Transform Matrix is { .03 0 0 .03 0 0 }.

Am I simply misunderstanding how this should work or should this be changed?

BTW great library!

• Stefano Chizzolini

You were right: I fixed them on both trunk (rev 47) and 0.1.0 fix branch (rev 46).

thank you for your bug report!

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks