Nvidia Drivers for OpenCL 1.1?

Help
James78613
2011-03-18
2012-12-21
  • James78613

James78613 - 2011-03-18

Hi what version of the Nvidia drivers do you recommend for use with Cloo? I have not been able to ge the OpenCL 1.1 test to pass using Clootils. The latest Nvidia 4.0 drivers dont support OpenCL 1.1 :(

I would like to talk to you about the future of OpenCL… It looks like Nvidia is letting it slowly die. There are alot of angry OpenCL developers on the Nvidia forums.

Have you ever thought of creating Cuda .net binding solution instead of OpenCL. I think it would have great use.

I hope your not in Japan!!!

• nythrix

nythrix - 2011-03-18

Yes I am aware of that. However, there are no official OpenCL 1.1 Nvidia drivers as far as I know. It seems that the company's enthusiasm has worn off.
    I don't think they can afford ignoring OpenCL in the future. Too, many vendors have now jumped in, including AMD and Intel (which is the best OpenCL 1.1 implementation I can think of, even though it's alpha). Nvidia should know that stopping at the local HW shop to buy an ATI graphics card with OpenCL 1.1 support is much easier than porting an OpenCL pogram to CUDA. Which is what I will do if they drop OpenCL in the future. Together with sending them my old GF 9600GT accompanied by a raised middle finger.
    I will not put together CUDA bindings for two reasons. First, I don't have much free time left to start another project. Second, I HATE vendor specific technologies with a passion. I always go for industry standards if I have the choice (OpenGL, OpenCL, OpenAL, Collada, C# 2.0, etc.). Plus, Nvidia is slowly pissing everyone off, so the last thing I would do right know is helping them with CUDA.
    I'm sure there already are some CUDA bindings for .NET. Check Google. However, I don't know anything about them.

Luckily, I'm quite far from Japan. It's an unfortunate place to be right now. R.I.P. to the lost souls; strength and courage to the living. Hopefully, they'll be back on their feet soon.

• James78613

James78613 - 2011-03-18

I totally understand your position on CUDA .NET bindings. I too would rather see Open(anything) instead of deing locked into a vendor.

So that I can move forward… Which Nvidia dev driver version were you using that allowed you to pass the OpenCL 1.1 tests? I know it will work cause I had it working before.

Thanks!

• nythrix

nythrix - 2011-03-25

I'm sorry, I must have missed this post :/

I don't have access to any OpenCL 1.1 Nvidia drivers. In fact the only OpenCL implementation to pass all the official Clootils tests, plus some that I keep private is the Intel OpenCL SDK. As I wrote before, it is the most complete implementation to date for those that don't have an ATI card. Unlike Stream, for example, it does support OpenGL/OpenCL interop even on the CPU.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks