Menu

error trying to restore disk image - program terminated

2016-06-14
2016-06-19
  • David Durocher

David Durocher - 2016-06-14

I am trying to restore a disk image. I am using beginner mode and selecting restore an image to disk. Once I select that I get an error. There is an empty box on the screen which says "Clonezilla - Opensource Clone System (OCS) | Mode: restoredisk" and at the bottom it says " The directory /home/partimage/Box /options: --msgbox [...] information for the inputted name does NOT exist!" (really long message and I left most of it out). Below that it says Program terminated!!!

I am fairly new using Clonezilla (been using it a couple of months). I have been able to create and restore disk images and partitions using beginner mode. I was able to create a disk image from this system. The problem started when I tried to restore an image to the drive. After failing to restore an image I was no longer able to boot to windows 10. I have tried a few steps to repair the windows 10 installation, none of which worked. I then used diskpart to remove all partitions. After doing this I am still unable to restore an image to the drive.

• David Durocher

David Durocher - 2016-06-15

I was sent a replacement hard drive by Dell. I've been able to reinstall windows 10 but still cannot restore an image. I still get the same error. This is a Latitude E7470. I've successfully been able to create and restore images on several indentically configured machines. I can also create an image since reinstalling the OS but get the same error when trying to restore.

• Tom Roche

Tom Roche - 2016-06-15

Note: I am not part of the Clonezilla team, but am only a longtime user. Still, I suspect (ok, hope :-) the following might be useful for debugging:

https://sourceforge.net/p/clonezilla/discussion/Open_discussion/thread/d7a9007d/#ddd4

Once I select [restore image in beginner mode] I get an error. There is an empty box on the screen which says "Clonezilla - Opensource Clone System (OCS) | Mode: restoredisk" and at the bottom it says " The directory /home/partimage/Box /options: --msgbox [...] information for the inputted name does NOT exist!" (really long message and I left most of it out). Below that it says Program terminated!!!

Can you collect that message (e.g., take a screenshot with your phone's camera) and make it available? Text would be better, but you could upload *.jpg to some public space, e.g., a googledoc (drive.google.com), Flickr, Imgur, Postimage, ... lots of alternatives.

https://sourceforge.net/p/clonezilla/discussion/Open_discussion/thread/d7a9007d/#bd4c

I was sent a replacement hard drive by Dell.

Was there a problem with the hard drive that you imaged? I.e., are you trying to restore an image from a damaged drive to a new drive?

Also, just to be sure: is the new drive identical in type to the old drive? You are probably aware that this is required (IIRC) for image restore, but, just to be sure ...

Last edit: Tom Roche 2016-06-15
  • David Durocher

David Durocher - 2016-06-16

I had an issue updating one of the drivers on the device before I had problems with windows not being able to load. Dell tech support decided to send me a replacement drive. Other than the driver issue and not being able to boot windows, there no inidcation that the drive was in any way damaged. In any case, the image I was trying to restore was from another identical (hardware wise) machine. First I tried to restore the OS partition. I got an error re size (it was 10s or maybe 100s of MB different). I have seen that before and restoring the entire disk instead of just the OS partition has worked for me on other E7470s when I have encoutered this. Restoring the entire disk is what is presenting me with the unhelpful error message. That did not work with either drive, the original in the machine, or the replacement Dell has sent me. The models of hard drives (origianal vs. replacement) are not identical but they are supposed to be the same size. How that would compare to the system I originally created the image on I can't say, other than they are supposed to be the same size.

The error is 4 lines long on the screen ... Not sure that it really tells much.

Top line

The directory /home/partimage/Box /options: --msgbox <height> <width> --yesno <height> <width> --infobox <height> <width> --inputbox <height> <width> [init] --passwordbox <height> <width> [init] textbox <height> <width> --menu <height> <width> <listheight> [tag item] ...

Bottom line

... --output-fd <fd> output to fd, not stdout --title display title --backtitle --scrolltext force vertical scrollbars --topleft put windows in top-left corner - h, --help print this message -v --version print version information for the inputed name does not exist!

Followed by:

Program Terminated!!!
    If you want to use Clonezilla again:
    (1) stay in this console (console 1), enter command line prompt
    (2) Run command "exit" or "logout"

• Steven Shiau

Steven Shiau - 2016-06-19

@David,
    Which version of Clonezilla live did you use? Did you try the latest Clonezilla live, i.e. 2.4.6-25 or even the testing one 2.4.6-30?
    http://clonezilla.org/downloads.php

Steven