Restoring to new SSD target with a smaller used space on Source

Mark J
2018-01-10
2018-08-05
  • Mark J

Mark J - 2018-01-10

Hey there,

I have a hard drive I imaged that has 139GB used space, and I just
    purchased a hard drive with 275GB of space. Anyone know why it won't work?
    When I go to image-restore in Clonezilla it says the image size is 500.1GB
    for some reason....

• Steven Shiau

Steven Shiau - 2018-01-14

The original disk should be 500 GB I believe.
    For larger disk to smaller one, Clonezilla might not work.
    You can try to enter expert mode, and choose the options "-k1" and "-icds".
    //NOTE// Bakcup important data before you use Clonezilla. Just in case.

Steven

• ThaCrip

ThaCrip - 2018-08-05

Those "-k1" and "-icds" options worked for restoring a Windows 7 image I made of a 250GB HDD (only about 17.7GB in use) to a Intel 545s 128GB SSD a moment ago (I just got a hold of that SSD recently for only $31.99). the actual data to be restored was 17.7GB according to the Clonezilla screen. it does show "device size: 250.0 GB" during the restore process but it finished and upon a reboot everything seems to be okay as I ran a error check within Windows 7 and all turned out fine and I checked to make sure Win7 had TRIM enabled, which it was, and then checked the actual bytes of the drive which seems to be okay as, counting the 100MB reserved partition for Windows 7, which is about 100MB, my SSD is a little over 128GB in total. but after updating Win7 etc I re-imaged it so everything will work straight up with Clonezilla in the future and I needed to reimage it anyways after the updates.

p.s. I just had to try and see if it worked as that saved me a bit of time vs a clean install as I only use that Windows 7 install for the rare occasion I need to transfer AAC files to a 30GB Zune (it does not work on Windows 10(Zune software does not work on Win10) or Linux(to my knowledge Linux won't work)) as I currently use Linux Mint v19 on the SSD for general usage (it's a 10 year old laptop which is a backup computer to my main PC) which I am going to restore in a moment (from a SD memory card in the laptop) once the Win7 image process finishes which I am saving to my main PC (running Win10) using Samba share.