Menu

Clonezilla Lite-

z-vap
2020-06-05
2020-06-07
  • z-vap

z-vap - 2020-06-05

The subject is wrong. should read Clonezilla Lite-Server and NVM Express.

Anyway. we attempted to clone 40 workstations from one clone. We took a clone using Disco (alternate stable). The Dell PC drives are connected via Nvm express, and show up as such. When we try cloning from that image, it works. BUT if we try loading up lite-server to do a massive cloning to all 40 workstations, it fails saying that it cannot find SDA drive.

Like i said it does work if I do it one at a time, using Restore Disk. but if i try to set up one Lite-Server and 40 Lite-Clients they all fail with the messag about the missing SDA.

Is this a known issue? Or is there something I can do to resolve?

Last edit: z-vap 2020-06-05
  • z-vap

z-vap - 2020-06-06

Thanks Steve and I am sure that will come in handy. But I think you're missing the point. Let me go into deeper details.

I need to boot to a Pen drive as there is no CD. In order to recognise the USB stick, in the bios of the Dell PC "UEFI with Secure Boot On" needs switched to "Legacy Secure Boot Off". Now USB sticks are recognized. OK.

40 duplicate workstations are unpacked. One is sysprepped. We take an imge of that one, noticing Clonezilla shows its an SDA drive, and we save the image to the share. When inspecting the image afterwards it still shows it is a from an SDA drive, not nvme which is odd since these are nvme devices. Moving on to another PC, we clone that and it does not complain.

In order to speed things up its decided to move to the Lite-Server, Lite-Client process. The Lite-Server is started and the image is chosen. Waiting for 39 clients. When the lite-clients are started, they all stop and complain that there is no SDA drive found. And the whole process is aborted.

We go back to cloning using the "Device-Image" method, and that continues to work fine. However if we chose to verify the clone, it claims the image was from an SDA drive and will attempt a repair. The clones that were not verified still work despite what choice is picked.

So the question is: Why does the process not complain when using the "Device-Image" choice to save and restore disks, but does complain and abort when using Lite-Server and Lite-Client choices?

Why does it save it as a SDA, but when restoring it sees it as an NVME?

The commands above may help in converting the sda to nvme but that is a total guess on my part.

EDIT: updated since posted

Last edit: z-vap 2020-06-06
  • Steven Shiau

Steven Shiau - 2020-06-07

"In order to recognise the USB stick, in the bios of the Dell PC "UEFI with Secure Boot On" needs switched to "Legacy Secure Boot Off"." -> Why you have to do so? If your MS Windows was installed in uEFI mode, then you should keep the way it is.
    As for why NVMe disk is shown as /dev/sda, not /dev/nvme0n1, I actually have no idea. It should be /dev/nvme0n1 from my experience.

Steven

• z-vap

z-vap - 2020-06-07

perhaps that is the reason. The bios won't recognize any pen drive unless its turned to "legacy". Also windows won't boot unless its "uefi".

Do you think that command would work or help converting it to nvme0n1?

• Steven Shiau

Steven Shiau - 2020-06-07

"Do you think that command would work or help converting it to nvme0n1?" -> Maybe. Only after you switch that we will know.

Steven