Wondering if CloneZilla can do this...

KWall24
2014-04-09
2014-04-24
  • KWall24

KWall24 - 2014-04-09

At work, we run a test lab with a bunch of different computers. I'm wondering if I can put cloneZilla on a server on our test lab network, and be able to image any combination of about 8 different computers to a single image. For example, if I want to load XP on 3 of the computers, run CloneZilla and load XP on 3 of them. After that clone is done, go back and clone a Windows 7 image to a different, 4th computer.

I'm also wondering if there is a way to do this remotely, and how that would best be done.

Any help is appreciated.

• Steven Shiau

Steven Shiau - 2014-04-10

"if I can put cloneZilla on a server on our test lab network, and be able to image any combination of about 8 different computers to a single image. " -> To a single image? No. For different OSes and machines, you have to keep every copy of the images. Especially you mentioned about MS Windows. There is a workaround that you can install sysprep in your MS Windows and save it as a "golden" image. However, it won't 100% work.
    As for do it remotely, yes, try Clonezilla SE:
    http://clonezilla.org/clonezilla-SE/

Steven.

• KWall24

KWall24 - 2014-04-11

They would be the exact same model of computer, and I would have the images made for that model of computer. I'm just wondering how this would work, if I can put a single image to any combination of computers. Additionally, can you use Clonezilla Server for Linux OSs?

• daffy

daffy - 2014-04-15

Hi Kwall

I am currently using clonezilla and I have one image for each type of machines. I have a image for Dell Optiplex 790 image I use for all 790s but as you already know the registration for each OS will be different. This method will work for Dells or HPs but may not work if you build your own machines since the licensing may be different. Also I have not had any issue restoring Linux.

I like Steven suggested to you, I have tried to create a universal image for "All" machines but using syspep and adding the drivers but it got too messy and not 100%. hehe

For your test environment each user will just need to boot up using PXE and select the image from the server they want and image away.

• KWall24

KWall24 - 2014-04-16

Thanks for the info daffy and Steven. I think we've actually decided doing a server might be more hassle for less functionality, so we're going to do a system local to each computer. Each will have an SSD to clone to, and each will have a semi-permanent thumb drive installed in the system. However, I think we'd like to put the images on a Samba server and restore the images from the share. Are there any problems doing this?

• Steven Shiau

Steven Shiau - 2014-04-24

" I think we'd like to put the images on a Samba server and restore the images from the share. Are there any problems doing this?" -> No problem for Clonezilla live. However, if you want to mount your samba server as /home/partimag/ on Clonezilla SE, then let your clients machine to use, you have to use unfs, as DRBL live does.

Steven.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks