Compression Limitation Using cvt-img-compression

Help
U.N.G.C.C.
2023-03-23
2023-03-29
  • U.N.G.C.C.

U.N.G.C.C. - 2023-03-23

alternative stable - 20230212-kinetic

When using cvt-img-compression for a -q2 (partclone > partimage > dd) -z0 (no compression) full disk image, the compression fails for the Microsoft reserved partition (sda3.dd-ptctl-img) .

cvt-img-compression options tested (-z1-9), all resulted in the same failure "(standard_in)1: syntax error 39%" for the sda3.dd-ptctl-img.

Ticket #306 Compression comversion tool doesn't work for images created with dd references this specific issue for dd partition images, however it's unclear if this limitation also applies to partclone.dd partition images as well.

Note that creating a full disk image with -q2 and > -z0 will successfully compress this Microsoft reserved partition.

However changing an uncompressed full disk image to (> -z0) fails for this specific Microsoft reserved partition (sda3.dd-ptctl-img will remain uncompressed).

Is this a limitation of cvt-img-compression for partitions originally saved with dd-ptctl as well as dd?

• Steven Shiau

Steven Shiau - 2023-03-28

Thanks for your feedback.
    Actually the compression of image file dumped by dd is converted successfully in this case. The syntax error message is only about the size, which is used to show the rate when converting. It's harmless.
    This error message has been suppressed in the git repository, and it will be used in the next testing Clonezilla live.

Steven

• U.N.G.C.C.

U.N.G.C.C. - 2023-03-28

Thanks Stephen for your kind response.

Just to clarify, the cvt-img-compression option still fails to compress the Microsoft reserved partition (the sda3.dd-ptctl-img partition file will remain uncompressed in the disk image directory).

However, if a compression option ( > -z0) is chosen at the time of original image back-up (i.e., not using cvt-img-compression) compression works a-ok for this Microsoft reserved partition.

Also tested cvt-img-compression with the Debian 10 Clonezilla package (3.27.16-13) and got the same results as with alternative stable - 20230212-kinetic live CD (no compression is applied to the Microsoft reserved partition "sda3.dd-ptctl-img" partition file when using cvt-img-compression).

• Steven Shiau

Steven Shiau - 2023-03-29

OK, my bad. I should have mentioned that clearly.
    What I mentioned the testing one is actually testing Clonezilla "live".
    Hence please give testing Clonezilla live >= 3.1.0-18 or 20230328-* a try:
    https://clonezilla.org/downloads.php
    I have tested it, and the issue you mentioned does not exist.

If you really want to use deb, you can try that in the DRBL repo, i.e.,
    https://free.nchc.org.tw/drbl-core/
    The unstable Clonezilla deb now is 5.4.5-drbl1.

As mentioned here:
    https://github.com/stevenshiau/clonezilla/issues/89
    Yes, we should sync that more so that the downstream distributions can use the latest versions in testing or unstable branch.

Steven