UEFI and bios boot

2016-01-27
2016-10-19
  • James Swanson

James Swanson - 2016-01-27

I currently ave an Ubuntu 14.04 server running clonezille SE
    I can get it to both UEFI and bios boot by changing the "PATH " option in default
    I have looked and cannot find if there is an option to boot both without having to change the PATH option in default, like an autodetect option?

• Steven Shiau

Steven Shiau - 2016-02-07

What did you mean by this? Could you please describe more?
    Thanks.

Steven.

• James Swanson

James Swanson - 2016-02-10

Better description:

I can boot bios systems fin and I can boot EFI/UEFI systems fine too, however, I cannot boot them unles I change the bot loader options for PXE

in the file /tftpboot/nbi_img/pxelinuc.cfg/default
    there is a section that show as follows

Set PATH to bios/ or efi64/, which is relative to PXE root dir (/tftpboot/nbi_img/pxelinux.cfg). bios is for legacy PXE booting, while efi64 is for uEFI network booting...

PATH bios/

if I change the last line to PATH efi64/ i can boot UEFI systems. I was wondering if there is a method of allowing the system to automaticall determine he diffeence. Or I am stuck with changing that switch.

• Steven Shiau

Steven Shiau - 2016-02-21

Did you try the unstable DRBL?
    You do not have to change the PATH if you use unstable DRBL. It uses grub as the uEFI netoot mechanism. Work better than syslinux for uEFI netboot I believe.

Steven.

• Kolneath S

Kolneath S - 2016-10-18

Hello,

I am tryingt to find out how to cope with the EFI boot on the server which does not use the legacy bios.

I think the Clonezilla SE is the best choice for us. However we can not see the PATH=bios or efi64 as both of you specified in the /tftpboot/nbi_img/pxelinux.cfg/default which has been automaticall created by /opt/drbl/sbin/drblsrv-offline

The drbl version is 2.20.11-drbl2.noarch and clonezilla is 3.21.13-drbl1.noarch

Also, on another Clonezilla forum, it indicated to use the clonezilla for ubuntu's release but it directs to the clonezilla live version.

Could you guide me alittle bit please ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards,
    K.

• Kolneath S

Kolneath S - 2016-10-18

Hi again Steven,

According to this https://sourceforge.net/p/clonezilla/discussion/Clonezilla_server_edition/thread/086f2cff/ you stated that drbl 2.4.6 there is the option efi introduced.

However that is for DRBL (Clonezilla) live. The one i downloaded from http://drbl.org/download/nchc/stable/ is for Clonezilla SE and the latest version there is 2.20.11-drbl2.noarch

Is there anyway to get that efi feature on SE version ?

Get stuck serveral weeks already to boot the Server for image creation. You guide is appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Best regards,
    K.S

• Steven Shiau

Steven Shiau - 2016-10-19

The unstable drbl repository is here:
    http://free.nchc.org.tw/drbl-core/pool/drbl/unstable/
    For uEFI network booting, actually we do not use pxelinux, instead we use grub2. You can refer to the program drbl-gen-grub-efi-nb in drbl package.

Steven

• Kolneath S

Kolneath S - 2016-10-19

Hi Steven,

Thank you for your prompt reply.
    The link you provided, in /drbl-core/pool/drbl/unstable/drbl, that contains all of drbl_2.20.xx and drbl_2.21.xx only src, deb and orig.
    I feel that the orig files are to be compiled. Any luck to have the rpm packages as we are on Redhat 6.6. ?

Regarding the package, we are already with 2.20.11-drbl2.noarch but there is no uEFI. Which one we should try on the link you provided ?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
    K.

• Steven Shiau

What did you mean by "we are already with 2.20.11-drbl2.noarch but there is no uEFI"?
    If you follow
    http://drbl.org/installation/
    to install and configure DRBL server (drblsrv -i; drblpush -i), then you should have the file "/tftpboot/nbi_img/bootx64.efi", and the config file "/tftpboot/nbi_img/grub-efi.cfg/grub.cfg".

Steven

• Steven Shiau

Oh, you mentioned you are using RedHat 6.6? Well, I think that's the issue, because IIRC, some required files are missing for grub2 so there is no way to have uEFI network booting service. Of course, you can try to upgrade grub, but I am not sure if it works or not.
    Hence, please give RHEL 7.x a try, or use Ubuntu 16.04, Debian Jessie.

Steven

• Kolneath S

Kolneath S - 2016-10-19

Thanks Steven.

I just install the newer version drbl-2.21.11-drbl1.noarch.rpm from http://free.nchc.org.tw/drbl-core/x86_64/RPMS.drbl-unstable/ now i see "drblsrv-offline -s uname -r" tries to generate also for "creating grub2 uEFI network boot image" but before i had not seen this message.

However, there is a warning "Command grub2-mkimage or grub-mkimage not found!"

On our RH6.6 (we can not have R7 for instant), we do not have grub-mkimage. I am trying to get it from the net as can not find any on the DVDROM, I suppose it comes with grub-tool.

Br,

• Steven Shiau

It's because RHEL 6.x uses grub version 1, not version 2.
    grub2-mkimage or grub-mkimage is only avaiable on grub 2.
    That's why I mentioned to use RHEL 7. If it's not avaiable to you, why not use CentOS 7? Ubuntu 16.04? Debian Jessie?

Steven

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks