menu on my recovery USB

2016-12-21
2017-01-05
  • Guillaume Boulay

Hello,

On my clonezilla unattended usb recovery keys that contain system image(s) I'd like to add a menu entry witch would be default, to boot from hard drive instead of the key itself.

it will prevent user errors and make sure they actually read the menu and my warnings instead of just pressing enter and recovering the machine.
    then only if user move the arrow to the second entry and 'reading' it they can select the image to recover to the system. then the other menu entry will be unattended with --batch

-> I know that this menu entry is offered when I boot from my clonezilla server, but not on the key
    -> I also found the /tftpboot/nbi_img/pxelinux.cfg/default where they use something like kernel chain.c32 append hd0 but it seams to be a bit different scripts types

how would my grub.cfg local hdd booting menuentry look like ?

Thanks in advance.

• Steven Shiau

Steven Shiau - 2016-12-25

Did you check this?
    http://clonezilla.org/livehd.php

Steven

• Guillaume Boulay

Hi Steven,
      I'd like to edit the grub menu on the USB recovery key. not the server or the user.
      reading around I see I could try something like

menuentry "Local " {
      insmod part_msdos
      insmod ntfs
      set root='(hd0,msdos1)'
      chainloader +1
      }

I would like to find the grub menu config file that is used on the server side, I could get inspired from it.. since it's what I'd like to do. adding the option not to boot from the usb key and go straight to the local hdd.

also, I see that most example will ask to run a update-grub after modification but would this be mandatory in this case ?
      I've played around before in /EFI/boot/grub.cfg config file to change the image name and change options that is on the recovery key and never had to <update> it later.. but maybe I'm doing it wrong..

• Steven Shiau

Steven Shiau - 2017-01-05

So did you make it? Or?

Steven

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks