Menu

Trying to Clone WD Failed Passport - advice please!

Dan
2015-11-30
2015-12-13
  • Dan

Dan - 2015-11-30

If this post is not appropriate here let me know. I am having challenges with the process and the documentation.
    I have a 1TB drive with about 450GB of files I need to clone before this drive goes south. I have only 2 USB ports on my ThinkPad, so believe that I will need to choose the RAM option so I can have my source/failing drive on one port and my target in the other. How that mix of options translates in terms of the "manual" is a bit of a mystery to me at this point, and I'm putting this out to more those more experienced to see if I can get some guidance.

I'm not entirely sure whether cloning or image is going to be the best choice here - and I know i already have some unreadable sectors. This product has come back on numerous searches as the best choice for my situation.

So my question is with my failing 1TB USB drive and a healthy 4TB USB drive with 2x2TB partitions, one being empty, can I boot via the RAM option then proceed to clone or image my 1TB drive to the target partition using clonezilla? Anyone have any sage advice with any lessons learned/tips and tricks etc.?
    I've been pretty lucky with drives in my 20 years in IT, but this one is not fully backed up and would really hate to lost this data if I can use tool properly...

Thanks!

Dan

• Steven Shiau

Steven Shiau - 2015-12-13

In your case, it's recommended to save the disk as an image on another external disk, not cloning, because the size of disks are different.
    Yes, it's always OK to use "To RAM" option to boot Clonezilla live if your RAM size is big enough, like >=512 MB.
    BTW, you mentioned there are unreadable blocks, then you can try to use the option "-rescue" in the expert mode:
    http://clonezilla.org/clonezilla-live/doc/01_Save_disk_image/advanced/09-advanced-param.php

//NOTE// Backup important data before you use Clonezilla. Just in case.

Steven.