How to? Step by Step needed. UEFI, Secure Boot with Windows 10, 2TB HS to 1TB SSD

2017-01-07
6 days ago
  • Richard Oberle

Richard Oberle - 2017-01-07

I am new to Clonezilla a friend recommended it to me.

I desire to use Clonezilla for my home back up. I have a new computer that came with Windows 10, it has UEFI secure boot (I dont claim to understand UEFI), I have a 2TB Hard Drive, I want to start by cloning the HS to a new empty 1TB SSD.

I shrank the 2TB C Drive Partition down to size so everything on the 2TB drive would fit on the 1TB SSD.

All copied Ok. BUT Windows 10 will not boot. I see this is a common problem. I see that I need the Ubuntu version of CloneZilla with AM1D64. Did that... still.. no luck...

I cloned all the partitions from the HD to the SSD. Using the partition Option as I could not use the DISK to DISK option.

Just how the heck should I be doing this to make it work?

Also curious, I made a bootable USB drive, with Ubuntu and Clonezilla, that only boots in Legacy, is that normal?

• Richard Oberle

Richard Oberle - 2017-01-07

I miss typed above HS = HD (Hard Drive)

• ndog37

ndog37 - 6 days ago

The problem is that EFI and efibootmgr don't always work, UEFI is a real challenge compared with legacy boot, so you can't expect clonezilla to always do a perfect GPT restore.

If windows 10 fails to boot (on the restored hard drive) you have to boot into windows PE and restore the ESP and additionally you may have to register the EFI bootloader with the BIOS/UEFI so it becomes a bootable option (from the BIOS/UEFI). The fact that UEFI is broken on many motherboards doesn't help.

So firstly I would look in UEFI, typically the GPT FAT32 partition has a file such as
    /EFI/Boot/BOOTX64.EFI
    and
    /EFI/Microsoft/bootmgfw.efi

Load into Windows PE and mount the ESP

mount-esp.cmd

:: rename drives - required for EFI partition detection
    :: this script will freeze if attempting to run on a MBR partition - eg upgrading a machine from MBR to EFI setup
    :: by ndog37
    set _tmp=%temp%\dp.lst
    for /f "tokens=2" %%g in ('echo list vol ^| diskpart ^| find "DVD"') do (
      echo select volume %%g >>"%_tmp%"
      echo assign letter=R: >>"%_tmp%"
      )
    for /f "tokens=2" %%g in ('echo list vol ^| diskpart ^| find "CD"') do (
      echo assign letter=R: >>"%_tmp%"
      )
    for /f "tokens=2* delims= " %%g in ('reg query HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control /v PEFirmwareType') DO (
      if %%h==0x2 for /f "tokens=2" %%g in ('echo list vol ^| diskpart ^| find "FAT32"') do (
        echo assign letter=S: >>"%_tmp%"
        )
      )
    diskpart /s "%_tmp%"
    del "%_tmp%" 2>nul >nul

Check those EFI files exists under s:
    If they are there and registered in your UEFI boot loader you may have to repair BCD

something like

bcdboot c:\windows /l en-us /s s: /f UEFI
    bootsect /nt60 c: /force

untested

If not working let me know and I'll see if I can help

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks