Menu

what is the correct way to clone a large disk to a smaller one?

AlBundy33
2023-04-22
2023-04-23
  • AlBundy33

AlBundy33 - 2023-04-22

Lets assume you have a windows laptop with an 750GB HDD with a partition layout like this.
    some small partitions (100/500MB) at first, followed by ~700GB system partition, followed by ~50GB data partition.

what is the correct way to clone this disk to smaller SSD (<= 500GB)?
    (assuming the used space on all partition fit on the new SSD)

In this example the system partition uses 100GB and could be resized during cloning - the other partitions should keep their size.

Is there a trick to do this in clonezilla?
    e.g. some setting "resize partition /dev/sda3 during cloning"?

I've read about an option to proportional resize the partitions but would this work if all partitions (except the system-partition) are full?

can I use a disk to disk clone if I resize the system-partition before cloning?
    in this case I would have the small partitions, the (resized) system partition, unallocated space and the data partition on the source drive.
    would this work or do I have to move th data-partition to the left at the end of the system partition?

the prefered way would be to clone the large drive to the smaller ssd without changes on the original.

Last edit: AlBundy33 2023-04-22
  • Steven Shiau

Steven Shiau - 2023-04-23

• AlBundy33

AlBundy33 - 2023-04-23

ok, according to this doc I have to resize and move all partitions to the left so that all will fit on the new disk (and use -icds parameter)

thanks for the link.