sdb recognized, but then..... missing

Ross Dorn
2016-12-22
5 days ago
  • Ross Dorn

Ross Dorn - 2016-12-22

DIsregard the first posting.....
    My problem was to use the instructions as given. What I wanted may not be disc to disc, but that is what clonezilla calls it...

THe problem that now arises is, that cloning an 120GB SSD, which has a complete Win 7 installation, size 26GB, on it, wants me to use a disc of at least 120GB .... the other 80% of the SSD is empty.

Getting another 120GB disc would defeat the purpose, Is there a way to to get a bootable clone on a 32GB USB stick, using Clonezilla?

THanks....

Last edit: Ross Dorn 2016-12-22
  • Ross Dorn

Ross Dorn - 2016-12-24

Thank you for help, all I wanted was either a link to the solution, or the one sentence, that there is no solution.

• Little Vulpix

Little Vulpix - 2016-12-25

Hey, not sure if I get your issue but for in general, you get an about 1:3 or better ratio when you turn compression on when you're generating a clonezilla image.

I don't know what your problem is, but if you want to create a clone backup, then you should definitely be able to save it on a 32GB flash disk with enough space to spare - as long as the disk is either formatted as ntfs/exfat or if you split the files to avoid fat32 limitations.

Please describe your problem better and I may be able to help you better.

Last edit: Little Vulpix 2016-12-25
  • Ross Dorn

Ross Dorn - 2016-12-25

Thanks, I installed a 120GB SSD into my old laptop. I installed all the software I want (uses Win 7) and I wanted to make a bootable clone (26GB) of the complete installation, so next time I will not have to waste hours on an installation. Instead simply use the bootable clone on the USB stick and install everything from there....
    Clonezilla tells me to use a "storage medium at least the size of the SSD" when using disc to disc.

• Little Vulpix

Little Vulpix - 2016-12-25

I think you are misunderstanding how clonezilla works. You cannot make a bootable version of windows 7 with it. "Disc to disc" option is literally if you want to take one device and make a 1:1 copy of it on another device (or many devices at once). Doesn't seem like your use case, I doubt you want to run your windows from a usb stick (this is only supported on windows enterprise using the "windows to go" feature).

What you probably want is to make a backup of your current installation (=the system on your ssd) so that in case anything ever goes wrong, you can restore it from there. For this purpose, you want to use a "device to image" option.

Again, device to device is only if you want a 1:1 copy (including partitions etc). Device to image is the most common mode if operation for clonezilla.

When you're then restoring from the backup, you don't have to install anything. The data is simply copied from the backup onto the disk (ssd in your case) and you just boot the system into a state it was in at the exact moment when you first generated the backup.

• Ross Dorn

Ross Dorn - 2016-12-26

Thank you again.

The "device to image" option was the first one I tried.
    When I ran it, and followed the instructions from the website and got to the page where it is supposed to show the list of discs, it showed sda1 and sda2, but it did not show sdb1, which would have been the same USB stick, that “disc to disc ” did recognize.
    When I kept on going I ended up on the page where I was told “No disc to copy to found” (or similar).

I did the whole procedure three times on the laptop, while reading the instructions on the desktop. Same result every time

Why did the same clonezilla software recognize my USB stick at “disc to image”, but not in “disc to disc”?

Also: At no point was I ever asked anything about compression…

Thanks again, Ross

• Little Vulpix

Little Vulpix - 2016-12-27

Hey!

I am not sure but it is possible that if you pick "beginner" mode, you may not be given a compression option. Try picking the expert option which will let you choose the compression mode. I believe it defaults to multithreaded gzip by default in beginner mode.

Also, if you are booting from the USB stick, you cannot use it as the target to store the image (it will not be on the list). The way to get around this is if you create a second partition on the USB stick and install clonezilla on the first partition whilst using the second for your storage - or boot from a different usb stick and have two sticks plugged in - one as storage and one as clonezilla boot.

Try expert mode and with the USB partitioned as such (if you are using clonezilla to boot).

• Ross Dorn

Ross Dorn - 2016-12-27

I see... I will try that. It might be helpful if the instructions would explain that properly

Will that be a bootable clone on the 2nd usb stick from which I can install the clone on to the SSD in the laptop? Or will it work only when I use both usb sticks?

• Ross Dorn

Ross Dorn - 2016-12-27

Add-on to the post that awaits moderation.

The installation size that I want to clone is 26GB, but on a 120Gb SSD, will compression allow me to get that on a 32GB USB-stick?

• Ross Dorn

Ross Dorn - 2017-01-04

He probably died....

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks