Creating imag and restore from LVM2 Formated Disk - 4 physical disks mapped as one NAS Disk

2014-02-14
2014-02-14
  • Tim Johnson

Tim Johnson - 2014-02-14

I have 1.2 TB NAS attached storage system. Linux LVM2 formatted. The processor operating at the front end manages the 4 300GB drives as one large drive with LINUX operating system. The contents of NAS can be addressed from Windows machines via Ethernet NAS access. It has Oracle partions. When Clonzilla Live runs it sees four physical drives sdc, sdd, sde and sdf. But trying to image just one disk at time, clonezilla still selects all four to image. But when trying to restore to another disk array of same design it says it can't restore to a single drive, even though I select all four. I can select all four for building image too with same result. I use the dd opdion in Advanced, because using default, errors occurr and skips LVM segments like Base. Errot indicates I should use cnvt-ocs-dev command, but I don't know what options to try. Any help out there?

• Steven Shiau

Steven Shiau - 2014-02-14

For the time being, LVM+RAID is too complicated to Clonezilla. Especially it does not support RAID very well. Therefore I think you have to manually create the partition table, LVM tools to create the PV/VG/LV, and use partclone to deal with the file system. Besides, you have to manually process the boot loader after all are restored.

Steven.

• Tim Johnson

Tim Johnson - 2014-02-14

Thanks, It is not really a RAID system. The disks are not redundant, but form a large single virtual disk to the outside. I will have to do some exploring with fdisk I think to see if they are each really formated with MBR etc. (still learning all the terms). To the ouside it looks like I have single 1 TB drive. I'm not sure what the front end disk processing SW is doing, and if there is anything in the Disk holding unit as well.
    All the engineers that set this up originally have left the company.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks