Possible to create clone on a smaller drive, if you get the right settings?

slack1280
2014-05-19
2014-05-22
  • slack1280

slack1280 - 2014-05-19

I'm using Win 8 32-bit and. . . clonezilla-live-2.2.2-37-i486.iso

In the Clonezilla Expert mode, I think I saw these:

"Resize the file system to fit partition size of target partition"

"Create partition table proportionally (ok for MBR format, not GPT)"

Is it possible to create a clone on a smaller drive, if you get the right settings?

Maybe it's not possible to clone to a smaller drive, because Win 8 uses GPT.

If you clone to a larger drive, does it create a partition equal to the size of the hard drive you're cloning, and make the balance of the drive into a partition of it's own?

Or does it use all of the space on the new, larger hard drive?

• Steven Shiau

Steven Shiau - 2014-05-22

"Is it possible to create a clone on a smaller drive, if you get the right settings?

Maybe it's not possible to clone to a smaller drive, because Win 8 uses GPT." -> For GPT, by default Clonezilla won't make it. Of course you can manually create the partition table and do it.

"If you clone to a larger drive, does it create a partition equal to the size of the hard drive you're cloning, and make the balance of the drive into a partition of it's own?

Or does it use all of the space on the new, larger hard drive?" -> For GPT, Clonezilla creates a partition equal to the size of the hard drive you're cloning. For MBR, you can enter expert mode, and choose "-k1" to create the partitions size proportionally in the destination disk.

Steven.