Page 44 User Manual confusion

2013-08-23
2013-08-27
  • John Scalia

John Scalia - 2013-08-23

I'm new to CLIPS, and let me say that it's great. I've been following the user manual to learn the system, but on page 44, the first paragraph under the first source listing isn't clear describing what the source above is doing. I know the rule in the source is looking for names with 2 fields (first, last). It took me a second with a slight rewrite of the rule to confirm what it was really doing: firing on fact-3. Maybe if the line beginning with "So long as the first name is Dopey..." were changed to "So long as the first name is Dopey and Dopey has only a last name with no middle name...", I might have picked it up quicker. The subsequent line about 3 fields, threw me for a second.

• Gary Riley

Gary Riley - 2013-08-27

Thanks for the feedback. I've updated the wording in the User's Guide.

Cheers,

Gary Riley

On Aug 23, 2013, at 9:45 AM, John Scalia jbscalia@users.sf.net wrote:

I'm new to CLIPS, and let me say that it's great. I've been following the user manual to learn the system, but on page 44, the first paragraph under the first source listing isn't clear describing what the source above is doing. I know the rule in the source is looking for names with 2 fields (first, last). It took me a second with a slight rewrite of the rule to confirm what it was really doing: firing on fact-3. Maybe if the line beginning with "So long as the first name is Dopey..." were changed to "So long as the first name is Dopey and Dopey has only a last name with no middle name...", I might have picked it up quicker. The subsequent line about 3 fields, threw me for a second.

Page 44 User Manual confusion

Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in https://sourceforge.net/p/clipsrules/discussion/776945/

To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/