Menu

Using CLIPS on Google Cloud Platform (Cloud Funtions)

2020-12-03
2023-06-02
  • Leonor Grosso

Leonor Grosso - 2020-12-03

Hello everyone,
    I'm doing some research on how to implement a Rule Based Engine over data stored in Google Cloud.

Do you think it's possible to adapt CLIPS to the .NET environmet provided by Cloud Funtions?
    Of what I've learned about CLIPS, it gets its data through the .clp files and I was wondering if it might be possible to get the data from the cloud directly.

Waiting for feedback.

Thank you,
    Leonor

• Gary Riley

Gary Riley - 2020-12-03

You can call out from CLIPS to C code and you can embed CLIPS within C code so you pull in data from external sources. There are examples at http://www.clipsrules.net/Downloads.html that demonstrate embedding CLIPS within other languages such a .NET and Java.

• John Caster

John Caster - 2023-06-02

Hello Leonor,

Implementing a Rule Based Engine over data stored in Google Cloud is definitely possible. While I'm not familiar with the specific capabilities of Cloud Functions, I can provide some general guidance.

Regarding CLIPS and the .NET environment provided by Cloud Functions, it may require some adaptation and consideration. CLIPS is traditionally used as a standalone rule engine, and integrating it directly with Cloud Functions might not be straightforward. However, you can explore alternative rule engines or rule-based systems that are compatible with the .NET environment.

One option is to look into rule engine libraries or frameworks available for the .NET ecosystem. These libraries often provide similar functionalities to CLIPS and can be integrated into your Cloud Functions implementation. Examples include NRules, Drools.NET, and Microsoft's Windows Workflow Foundation (WF).

To get the data from the cloud directly, you can leverage the various data storage options provided by Google Cloud, such as Cloud Storage, Cloud Firestore, or Cloud Bigtable. These services allow you to store and retrieve data, which can be utilized by your rule engine implementation.

It's recommended to thoroughly research and evaluate the compatibility, performance, and features of the rule engine or rule-based system you choose for your specific use case. Additionally, consult the documentation and resources provided by Google Cloud to understand how to integrate external systems into Cloud Functions.

I hope this provides some insight into your research. Good luck with your implementation!