How to change the start menu power button action in "windows 8"

peterinsb
2012-12-31
2013-02-24
  • peterinsb

peterinsb - 2012-12-31

It defaults to SHUTDOWN. How do I change this to SLEEP?

(I am referring to the button on the Start Menu, not the hardware button on the PC.)

• Ivo Beltchev

Ivo Beltchev - 2012-12-31

Open the settings, go to the Customize Start Menu tab, double-click the ShutdownBoxItem in the left column.
    Then pick a different command from the dropdown - sleep, hibernate, whatever.
    Change the label and the icon if you wish.

• peterinsb

peterinsb - 2013-01-01

Slick. That saved me a lot of time. Thanks!

• Bruce W

Bruce W - 2013-02-24

Hi. Just installed the program and am liking it. But the solution above is not working for me. When I try that (choosing "Sleep" from the dropdown), the entire Shut Down menu disappears. I have Windows 8 Pro on a Latitude 10 tablet. Actually, the "sleep" option does not show up in the start menu at all--when I view the submenu for Shut Down, all of the options in the ShutdownBoxItem list are there except Sleep. I tried putting Sleep in other parts of the start menu, but it doesn't show up anywhere. Any help would be appreciated.

• Ivo Beltchev

Ivo Beltchev - 2013-02-24

It is possible the system reports that "sleep" is not supported. If you press Alt+F4 on the desktop, do you see Sleep as one of the options?

Also, which version of Classic Shell are you using?

• Bruce W

Bruce W - 2013-02-24

I am using 3.6.5.

I don't have an Alt key or a F4 key on the keypad on this tablet.

• Ivo Beltchev

OK, then reset the menu and click on the original Shutdown item. It will open a dialog box with a dropdown.

• Bruce W

Bruce W - 2013-02-24

Thanks for your quick replies. Doing that gives me the Windows 8 "Shut Down Windows" box, with Shut down as the default and Sleep as an option in the dropdown menu. What I would like is to have a Sleep command available in the Start menu without having to go through all those submenus.

BTW, I also put this on my desktop machine (also Win 8 Pro), and the "Sleep' command does show up on the Start menu.

Last edit: Bruce W 2013-02-24
  • Ivo Beltchev

It is in C:\Windows\System32

• Bruce W

Bruce W - 2013-02-24

oops--mixup of "l" and "1". :$

This caused the tablet to shut down. Tried the powercfg -hibernate off as well--still got the same result.

• Ivo Beltchev

I don't know then. You need to find a command that works with your tablet. I do not own such device and can't tell you the solution.

• Bruce W

Bruce W - 2013-02-24

Oh well, thanks a lot for trying.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks