Metro Screen coming up with 3.6.5

2013-01-03
2013-01-12
  • frank haxner

frank haxner - 2013-01-03

Working with windows 8 and 3.6.4 for 2 weeks now. Works fine.
    Suddenly after upgrade to 3.6.5 the Metro Screen will come up, after 10 .. 20 sec changing to Window desktop.
    Uninstalling 3.6.5 and installing 3.6.4 did not help.
    Recovery of a complete image of the system partition incl. 3.6.4 solved the problem.
    Anybody else with this issue?
    Thanks

• Ivo Beltchev

Ivo Beltchev - 2013-01-03

The only difference between 3.6.4 and 3.6.5 is a small bugfix for a crash when you click on the start button. The way it starts up is exactly identical. Is it possible you installed some other software that may be slowing down your login process?

• frank haxner

Well, I asked myself the same question. The answer is no. Since I am still in the process of setting up a new W8 machine, I am keeping a log what I install between images (2 to 3 images per day. Further more I disabled all automatic software updates. Mysterious.

• Ivo Beltchev

Ivo Beltchev - 2013-01-03

If you log out and then log in, is it slow, or just the first time you log in?
    Do you use any system for logging in automatically, or do you have to type a password?

• frank haxner

it was slow each time I restarted the system, tried more than 3 times. Currently my W8 machine is configured to start with no password.

• frank haxner

frank haxner - 2013-01-05

Still fighting with this issue.
    3.6.5 is not the problem:
    For experimental purposes I uninstalled 3.6.4 an installed it again. NO other changes!
    The old problem: Metro Screen will come up, after 10 .. 20 sec delay changing to Window desktop. esetting all parameters, upgrade to 3.6.5 did not help. Again recovery of C with Acronis done.

Any upgrade or re-installation of classic shell seems to change the start sequence. When I manualy click "Desktop" on the Metro-Screen, I can see that the classic shell button is the very last to appear in the start-sequence. (Skype and a NAS-assistant for example start before). In the "good mode" recovered with Acronis the classic shell button comes first!

How can I change the sequence making classic shell to come first?

Thanks

• Ivo Beltchev

Ivo Beltchev - 2013-01-05

The start menu adds a service, which is responsible for starting the menu when a user logs in. If something is delaying the service, it will be a problem. There may be another service that is set to start earlier and is taking a long time. I don't know how to diagnose such issues.

One thing you can do is to disable the ClassicShellService (set it to Manual), and make a scheduler task to run ClassicStartMenu.exe on login. The scheduler is also a service and may also be delayed, but it is less likely because it is part of the system.

• frank haxner

frank haxner - 2013-01-05

Thanks, once again, there are no new services. Upgrade or re-installation of classic shell changes the start sequence, pushing classic shell from first to last! Hope this will give you an input for what is going on.

Hoe can I set CS to manual an run a scheduler?

• frank haxner

frank haxner - 2013-01-08

oupps, don't like work arounds to tackle bugs, sorry.

• Ivo Beltchev

Ivo Beltchev - 2013-01-09

Dude, you asked for it, why are you complaining?
    It is very possible you have another service that is taking a long time to start. Most likely services run in the order of installation, and since you reinstalled Classic Shell now its service runs last. You have to figure out what is taking so long.

• frank haxner

frank haxner - 2013-01-09

I'm not your "Dude", Mr. Beltchew.
    However, it's a free software, thus no reason to complain.

Your last remark makes things clearer: Reinstallation (unfortunately also an upgrade) makes Classic shell start last. Thus the question is not which service is taking so long, but how to make Classic shell start first again.

• Ivo Beltchev

Ivo Beltchev - 2013-01-09

Sorry about the "Dude" :), I lost my temper

The service registers itself in the UIGroup service group. You can change the Group value in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\ClassicShellService to an earlier group like "AudioGroup". The groups and their order can be found in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\ServiceGroupOrder

However I still recommend looking at other services. If the order of installation matters (which is the current working theory), then there must be another service in UIGroup that is set to run earlier and is taking a long time. Search for UIGroup in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services. It may give you a clue what is happening - like a service that shouldn't even be there, or may potentially try to access the network and times out, or something like that. Since many people are running Classic Shell without the problem you are describing, it most likely is some uncommon software you have installed and thus easy to spot.

• frank haxner

frank haxner - 2013-01-12

Hi, thanks.

Pushing up CS by two groups did not make any change.
    Also upgrading CS or re-installing does not change the 2 registry settings you mentioned.

All services are the same before and after upgrade. Since I am preserving the working mode (still with 3.6.4) in an image, I could compare the 2 modes (before and after upgrade) with the autoruns-application. --> No changes at all.

Upgrading CS or re-installing must have an effect on start-up of CS. As previously mentioned, CS is pushed back from first to last. You are the one who knows the secrets of starting CS directly at log-on. There must be the solution to my problem.

Thanks

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks