Sort Order

2012-11-14
2012-11-15
  • Turbo-Pascal

Turbo-Pascal - 2012-11-14

Hello,
    I am having a hard time figuring this application. All I want to do is keep the same Windows 7 start menu but just have the Folders listed first then the application icons. So really nothing but the order of listing. But I am unable to do that without going back to an older looking start menu.

Is there a way to do that?

Thanks

• Ivo Beltchev

Ivo Beltchev - 2012-11-14

When you sort the Programs menu (right-click -> sort by name) the folders should appear first and then the files. Is that not what you are seeing? A screenshot would help.

• Turbo-Pascal

Turbo-Pascal - 2012-11-14

Thanks for the help :)

I am starting to understand what it does a little. It seems to replace the whole menu control with its own. I was hoping there was a way of just sorting the menu listing without actually changing its appearance in any sort of way.

Here is an image with my original menu

Here is an image after installing Classic Shell.

There does not seem a way for it to list original pinned items to the "new" star menu. I would have to add them manually again.

I have messed around with the different type of skins etc, and really not happy with any. I am rather partial to the new menu. I am pretty much use to it now :)

Is there any way to keep existing menu just sort the order with "Classic Shell"?

• Nick

Nick - 2012-11-14

If you right-click the Start Button and select Open or Open All Users (depending on your Windows setup) it will open the folder that contains the shortcuts to your pinned apps. Knowing Windows, you'll have to select both to find all of your shortcuts.

Your image after installing CS ... you can make the Start Menu look and behave like your original one if you just play with the options. Mine looks like this with CS installed -

alternate text

Don't know about Windows 8 though if you're using that sorry.

Last edit: Nick 2012-11-14
  • Ivo Beltchev

Ivo Beltchev - 2012-11-15

Classic Shell doesn't affect the order in the Windows 7 start menu. It can however replace the All Programs with a cascading menu (see the third image here: http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/gallery.html)

I'm not sure what you mean by folders though, since I don't see folders in your screenshot.

• xpclient

xpclient - 2012-11-15

It looks like "Turbo-Pascal" is not happy with the reverse sort of "All Programs" in the Windows 7/Vista Start Menu. Neither am I but nothing can be done about that. The Windows Start Menu All Programs just lists the shell:::{865e5e76-ad83-4dca-A109-50dc2113ce9a} namespace extension. It's one of the option-less design choices made in Vista. Replacing the All Programs menu with the Classic Shell cascading menu or the entire Windows Start Menu with Classic Start Menu is the only way to "fix" this (besides a dozen other annoyances).

• Turbo-Pascal

Turbo-Pascal - 2012-11-15

Thanks everyone.
    Nick, I already knew you can mess around with the themes. I just prefer the default one, with the non-cascading menu.

Ivo, The folders/application icons under "All Programs".

xpclient, Bingo! :) Yep it does not look like it. Microsoft should listen to the old adge "if it ain't broke don't fix it"

There was no reason to change the sorting order like there was no reason to make VS2012 icons so gawd damn awful. Ugly interface all together.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks