100% look-a-like of Windows 7 start menu

loekf3
2012-11-04
2013-07-24
  • loekf3
    loekf3
    2012-11-04

Classic Shell pops up a new menu on top of the Start Menu window when you click on All Programs. In Windows 7 it's possible that the menu opens in the left pane, where your recent programs and programs you pinned to the Start Menu are show initially.

Maybe I missed a setting, but is it possible to get the same behaviour ?

I like the Win 7 way better than the Vista way, saves space on the desktop and is less cluttered when you have program folders 2 or 3 levels deep.

Last edit: loekf3 2012-11-04
  • Ivo Beltchev
    Ivo Beltchev
    2012-11-04

No, it is not possible to get a 100% exact behavior from Classic Shell.

There are many programs out there that try to mimic the Windows 7 menu exactly. The most notable are start8 and vistart. You may get better luck with them.

Vistart is free but a bit light on features.

Start8 is a lot more feature-rich but is still a bit unstable. They are pretty good at fixing the bugs quickliy though.

•  Andrés
    Andrés
    2012-11-05

So is there no way to make the sub-menus open in the left pane? Classic Shell is almost perfect except for this limitation.

• Ivo Beltchev
    Ivo Beltchev
    2012-11-05

No, no way. It conflicts with the customizability aspect the start menu. Currently you can place the Programs or Search items anywhere in the menu, and the Windows 7-style only works if they are at the bottom of the left column.

• xpclient
    xpclient
    2012-11-05

Not to mention that the space saving style is rather cramped and requires unnecessary scrolling. There are other ways to save space like making the menu and sub-menu widths smaller, single column main and sub-menus, or use small icons. They will all give you a compact menu which occupies less than half of the screen (almost only 33%). How much more compact do you want? Classic Shell's menu was built right from the beginning to address these limitations of Windows 7/Vista's Start Menu.

Last edit: xpclient 2012-11-05
  • Noel Carboni
    Noel Carboni
    2012-11-09

Andres, try getting used to the Windows Classic setting. It takes a little getting used to, but it grows on you and man does it work well. I've switched all my systems to it.

I'm fond of telling people that Ivo has implemented ClassicShell better than Microsoft ever implemented any of their start menus.

-Noel

Last edit: Noel Carboni 2012-11-09
  • yngdiego
    yngdiego
    2012-11-09

I too want the option like Win7 and Start8 to have the programs open in the left pane and not a cascading menu. VERY important to me and my user base.

• xpclient
    xpclient
    2012-11-09

Those who want a scrollbar inside their Start Menu with All Programs covering other elements unnecessarily can use Start8 or ViStart for that. Or if you don't like cascading menus closing, raise the HOVER DELAY setting's value and after doing that, the menus will respond only to mouse clicks, not mouse hover.

Last edit: xpclient 2012-11-09
  • yngdiego
    yngdiego
    2012-11-09

That's not very customer friendly to say just go use another product when you personally don't like it. Clearly people want the feature, so I'm perplexed why you can't just add the feature even if YOU don't like it. We want it, period.

• xpclient
    xpclient
    2012-11-09

No it's not about liking or not liking it. :) I merely explained why it's not done by Ivo - it's not an efficient way to see the entire All Programs list inside an area that takes 15 percent of the screen compared to 100 percent of the screen. MS also realized that which is why they did those changes to the Start screen. I mentioned the alternatives because not everyone might be aware of those, they mimic the inefficient All Programs style.

• Ivo Beltchev
    Ivo Beltchev
    2012-11-09

The feature you are talking about is not compatible with the current start menu design. Adding it will compromise other features. For example it will impose limitations to the way you arrange your menu items. You can't place the Programs item in the middle of the second column if you wish. It will impose limitations to the skins - the area behind the programs must be solid color and opaque.

So there is no evolutionary path that can go from the current classic start menu to the Windows-7 style start menu. It is not just a feature to be added. It is a complete redesign. The only way to do it is to implement an entirely different menu from scratch. At the moment I am not interested in developing such product.

I think it is very customer-friendly to suggest to use other products when your own product doesn't meet the customer's needs. If you go to a car dealership and ask for a boat they will kindly direct you to a place that sells boats instead of try and hammer one of their cars into a boat-like shape.

Last edit: Ivo Beltchev 2012-11-09
  • Noel Carboni
    Noel Carboni
    2012-11-09

People sure seem to focus on "it needs to be just exactly like THAT", when they don't realize that there are better ways to do things.

Plus they seem pretty demanding of a developer providing them with a free product that actually works better than anything Microsoft has done. :)

Never change, Ivo!

-Noel

• xpclient
    xpclient
    2012-11-09

IMHO, making it exact is what users should be given as long as it doesn't change the function. The Windows 7 Start Menu looks excellent but it's 'All Programs' is not very usable. In this case, usability is affected.

Still, there is more scope to make the main menu look more "exact" wherever function/usability is not affected. Font size should be made exact. Jump list arrow size should be made exact. Left column maximum width should be made exact. User picture should be jutting out. All these finer changes make users very happy.

• yngdiego
    yngdiego
    2012-11-10

You may think something is inefficient, but others of us do not. Some people like red, others like blue. Neither is right or wrong.

• xpclient
    xpclient
    2013-07-24

Good news users. The latest Classic Shell version 3.9.0 has 100% lookalike of the Windows 7 Start Menu. Basically, Classic Shell is now 2 different implementations of the Start Menu in 1 product. :)