Slow Menu w. v.3.62

WWR
2012-11-10
2012-11-10
  • WWR

WWR - 2012-11-10

I have noticed EXTREMELY SLOW BEHAVIOR with the Start Menu, starting with the latest Classic Shell version (3.62). To open sub-menus sometimes takes 20 to 30 seconds. I notice a couple of other mentions of this same problem in your forums, but no answers. After trying all the normal solutions, I uninstalled v.3.6.2 and then installed 3.6.0. PROBLEM SOLVED!!

Just thought you might like to know. Thanks for the great program.

• Ivo Beltchev

Ivo Beltchev - 2012-11-10

What sub-menus are you trying to open? Is it Programs, Control Panel, jumplists?
    Does it happen only the first time you open that menu, or multiple times?
    What version of Windows are you using?

• WWR

WWR - 2012-11-10

To IVO re: http://sourceforge.net/p/classicshell/discussion/1049755/thread/65446794/#0a46
    Any sub-menu from "Start... Programs..." is very slow. Tweaking the registry entry for menu speed (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\MenuShowDelay) has no effect. The problem does not involve Thumbnail cache (at least, clearing it had no effect). The menu is a little faster (but still very slow) after the first load (as it always is), but the problem shortly returns. As others have posted in your forums, the delay can be protracted. I am using the Windows-7 Home Premium with all patches and updates installed. The problem still there after a "clean boot" (i.e. not TSR's, etc). As I stated before, installing the old v.3.6.0 instantly and totally solved the problem. Thanks very much for making previous versions available. At King County Metro (Seattle), I know at least 30 people in our department (Operations Systems Support) who have also reverted to older versions to solve this problem. Thanks again for your efforts.

• Chris Harris

Chris Harris - 2012-11-10

I also have seem this problem. Windows 7 64bit, Classic Shell 3.62. I have not ried to go back to 3.60 to test.

Cheers

Chris

• Ivo Beltchev

Ivo Beltchev - 2012-11-10

I would appreciate if somebody experiencing this problem can contact me at classicshell@ibeltchev.com. I want to fix this but I need to run few experiments.