option to disable individual folder settings

Andy
2012-09-26
2012-10-29
  • Andy

Andy - 2012-09-26

I recently started using classic shell and it's making my life a little
    easier, so thank you!

However, there is one feature of Windows 7 that is making me absolutely mad on
    a daily basis at work. That feature is individual folder settings. Personally
    I just want a details view for EVERY SINGLE FOLDER regardless of content. If I
    want to view images, I have a program to do that which is far better than the
    default windows viewer and will use that - same for every other type of media
    file. I don't like Windows trying to be clever and organising things for me. A
    giant icon is far less help than an ordered list when searching for files and
    I normally have details view sorted by name, type or (especially) last
    modified date.

Note that it was possible more or less to get Windows XP to always display
    details, regardless of folder content, and it seemed to remember the order you
    sorted the last folder by when browsing to other folders. Windows 7 thinks it
    is better than this. IT ISN'T.

I don't know how much trouble it would be to add an option to totally disable
    the individual folder settings, but I've looked all over the place and still
    haven't found anything that works reliably. This is a quick rundown of how I
    think it should work (disable individual folder settings option turned on):
    1. No folder has its own display settings saved anywhere.
    2. Every folder uses the exact view that was last used. For example, if I used details sorted by date in one view, every other new folder view should be the same. Modifying one view should not affect other explorer instances that are currently running, however.
    3. This should apply to everything that uses any kind of explorer view in the system; File dialogs and Explorer of course, but anything else should also be forced to use these settings if possible.
    4. It should go without saying, but any new folders created, and folders on network drives etc. should all obey the rules. Just stop Windows trying to be clever.
    5. Ideally it would punch anyone trying to use large icon view on my computer in the face, but I realise this may take extended R&D to reliably develop.

Thanks for reading. I hope you'll give this idea some consideration.

• xpclient

xpclient - 2012-09-26

You can do this in Windows already.

1. Switch any folder to Details View and open 'Folder Options' from that folder's Tools menu (for Vista or Windows 7) or the click Folder Options on the appropriate Ribbon tab (in case of Windows 8).
    2. Then go to View tab and click Apply to All Folders.

You will have to do this procedure 5 times, once each for each of the 5 folder
    templates.

In Windows XP, this change was global meaning it applied to all folders
    irrespective of their template. In Windows Vista and onwards, it applies only
    to the Folder template that Explorer detects your folder as. There are five
    core folder templates - General items, Documents, Pictures, Music and Videos.
    So open any 5 folders each containing some general items, documents, pictures,
    music and video file type, each of one type, set the view to Details view (or
    whatever view you want) and then open Folder Options from that folder itself
    and click "Apply to all folders".

Just make sure you don't open Folder Options from Control Panel. You have to
    open Folder Options from the same folder as the one where you are setting the
    view.

• Andy

Andy - 2012-10-01

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a go.

I did try this before I think, but I must have missed a template or two. Also,
    I was under the impression that windows made all folders look like the current
    view, but then kept individual settings per folder again if you modified them,
    instead of just having one global setting that applies to all folders. Anyway,
    I'll try it out again.

Btw, sorry for not saying thanks earlier - I didn't get any notification email
    for some reason.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks