moved program from program files, and want to put it back

Anonymous
2012-12-19
2012-12-19
  • Anonymous

Anonymous - 2012-12-19

While using clsssic shell with Windows 8, I moved a program out of the program files folder, and
    onto the desktop. what I really wanted to do was create a shortcut to the program, but now,
    I can't drag the program back into the program files folder in classic shell. How do I put the program back into the programs folder in classic shell, and how do I convince windows 8 to just create a desktop short cut from a program in the classic shell program folder.

Thanks,

-Craig

Last edit: Anonymous 2012-12-19
  • Ivo Beltchev

Ivo Beltchev - 2012-12-19

The "programs" in the start menu are really shortcuts in the Start Menu folder. When you drag them to the desktop they are simply moved. That's because the Start Menu folder and the Desktop folder are on the same drive, so the default drag operation is "move". If you want to copy a shortcut instead of moving it, hold down Ctrl or Ctrl+Shift. Alternatively you can drag with the right mouse button, and then you will get a menu that asks you if you want top copy or move.

To copy the shortcut back to the start menu, drag it from the desktop to the start button. The start menu will open and you can place the shortcut wherever you want.

Also, if you do this by mistake, you can quickly click on the desktop to focus it and press Ctrl+Z. This will undo the move operation.