Organizing programs on Start Menu

Pete
2012-12-10
2015-08-31
  • Pete

Pete - 2012-12-10

I'm really liking Classic Shell. Thanks for a great program. I do have three questions:

1. How do I make the Programs have more entries for recently run programs? Right now it seems limited to 5. I have already tried Settings/Special Items and set Max Recent Items to 25. It had no effect. Whoops: I found the solution, I was editing 'Max Recent Documents' and I should have been editing 'Max Recent Programs'.

2. How do I alphabetize the entries in Programs? It started out being alphabetized, but now it just adds new entries to the end of the list. I did Settings/Customize Start Menu and then double clicked on 'Programs Menu' and selected Sort, but it has no effect. Whoops: I just figured out one solution: I can just drag the entries to wherever I want!

3. How do I backup my Classic Shell settings? I plan to reinstall Windows 8 and would like to avoid having to reconfigure everything.
      Pete

Last edit: Pete 2012-12-10
  • Ivo Beltchev

Ivo Beltchev - 2012-12-10
    1. Right-click on any item in the Programs menu and select Auto Arrange. The items will stay sorted alphabetically from then on

2. Use the Backup button in the settings

• Pete

Pete - 2012-12-10

Perfect, thanks
      Pete

• .mau.

.mau. - 2015-01-25

a related question: is there a way to pin the Programs menu, so that I can organize the folders? Now I can only move a folder a time, since the menu closes.

• Ivo Beltchev

Ivo Beltchev - 2015-01-25

For large-scale reorganizations of the menu I recommend you open the folder in Explorer (right-click -> Open) and then do it there. You can easily add, delete, rename, even multi-select.

• Judy Catlett

Judy Catlett - 2015-08-31

My classic shell opens in what looks like arabic or some langue simillar. How do I fix this?

• Ivo Beltchev

Ivo Beltchev - 2015-08-31

That's weird. Can you show me a screenshot? You can change the language from the Language tab in the settings.

• Judy Catlett

Judy Catlett - 2015-08-31

don't know how to send screenshot? since it's all in a foreign language, I can't find settings.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks