Exploits kits consist of malware that takes advantage of vulnerabilities in popular software programs, like Internet Explorer, Chrome, Adobe Reader, Flash, Skype, and other programs. They use a scripting language (Visual Basic, Power Shell, etc.) to infect computers that have vulnerable software. They are used in spam campaigns or on malicious or compromised web sites. The exploit kit scans a computer for out-of-date/unpatched software. If a vulnerable piece of software if found, it is used to plant a backdoor on a PC and its network. Then the backdoor is used to contact a command and control server and plant a malicious payload on the system. The payload can be anything--ransomware, spyware, or it can turn the PC into part of a botnet to infect other computers.

Exploit kits have names like Angler, Neutrion, Nuclear, and RIG, and they are big business. For instance, Cisco has estimated that the Angler exploit kit by itself may generate $60 million annually for the various people that employ it. Exploit kit authors update their kits often with the latest exploits, and they sell or rent their kits to "customers" via online black markets. They use businesslike features--like money back guarantees and turnkey processing of exploits.

The best defense against exploit kits is patching your software so that you are protected against the latest exploits. It goes without saying that you also need an unpdated antivirus and firewall. You can not do much about Zero Day exploits, which are unknown exploits for which there are no patches, but you are more likely to encounter known exploits designed for unpatched computers. The Zero Day type of exploits are often employed against special targets by nation states and other sophisticated malware users.

Exploits are often designed to evade antivirus programs, but if your system is patched against an exploit, it still can not be used to infect your computer. I suggest that you use one of the popular antivirus programs in addition to ClamWin/Clam Sentinel on your computer. If you don't want to use a commercial AV, I suggest one of these free AVs: Microsoft Windows Defender, Fortinet Forticlient, Panda Free AV, Avira Free, or Avast Free. I also do a daily scan with Malwarebytes Free Antimalware.

Regards,