From: Robin Rowe <robin.rowe@ci...> - 2010-01-01 20:50:52
Wishing everyone a happy New Year! Although I haven't been active on the
list lately, I've been working on CinePaint behind the scenes. Here's a
plan for 2010.
1. Revamp website. Software changes to make it easier for me to post
news more frequently. Probably Drupal with Postgres.
2. Revamp CVS. Although there are good arguments for other systems such
as Subversion, the pros don't outweigh the cons of making developers
(especially me) learn a new system. I plan to divide the code into
smaller modules to make it easier to handle.
3. Ravamp build. Build CinePaint using C++ without autotools. The GNU
autotools autoconf-automake-configure-make system has always been a
thorn in CinePaint's side because it makes one QA cycle to do a full
rebuild take hours.
4. Linux, Mac and Windows releases. We've been stuck getting out a
release for reasons of build management and QA. The Mac and Linux
releases have been held back by build issues. That's being resolved. The
Windows version was derailed by issues related to how we use GTK. There
are a couple ways to resolve that, and it will require me doing some
work. I'm keen to get the Windows version because I work fastest when
debugging in Visual C++.
5. Revamp architecture. Make brushes into plugins. Load plugins as DLLs
on all platforms, not spawn processes. Use ASCII strings instead of
variargs in Wire Protocol. Start using more C++ in code, but no STL
please. Make Java a supported scripting language. Release img_img
command line tool.
6. Revamp QA. Create a strong QA system with unit tests and more
thorough user testing.
Anyone who wishes to volunteer to add something useful to the CinePaint
project is, of course, welcome.
CinePaint Project Leader
Beverly Hills, California