Menu

MS Flight Simulator X or ESP

2008-05-22
2013-04-25
  • Justin Schaub

Justin Schaub - 2008-05-22

When MS announced ESP at I/ITSEC last year, the list of partners included IG vendors that have their own scene graph and platform technology.  Has anyone revealed plans or intententions of how the ESP platform fits into their products?

I've talked with Boeing folks who have tinkered with MS Flight Sim for visualization.  Has anyone here built a CIGI frontend to a Microsoft Flight Simulator X or ESP based visualization?  Has anyone investigated something like this as either an OpenSource or commercial product?

• Arno Gerretsen

Arno Gerretsen - 2008-05-28

Hi,

I have been doing some investigation on connecting the CIGI/CCL samples (TestIG application) to the SimConnect SDK of FSX and ESP. I have made a little proof of concept of this as well, it allows setting the ownship position and attitude. And also that of other traffic. More advanced features like weather, etc are still on my wishlist.

I am certainly willing to share this work with the community as open source, but before putting it out I feel I should clean up my test code a little bit. After that it sounds great if the whole community could help to extend it.

Arno Gerretsen

• Justin Schaub

Justin Schaub - 2008-06-18

After some discussion I think there is enough interest by others to further develop a CIGI frontend to the Microsoft ESP Visualization Platform.  Arno Gerretsen has done some work for proof of concept connecting the CIGI TestIg example to the MS SimConnect API to drive the camera and some entities around the scene.  Boeing engineers are planning to further develop this same capability. 

I believe that the interested parties want to foster this development under the CIGI project.  Andrew, would you be willing to set up something in the CIGI project for a CIGI / ESP connector (possibly under trunk/ESP)?  Would you be willing to accept code for such a project?

Justin Schaub

• John Wokurka

John Wokurka - 2008-06-26

I am very interested in a CIGI / ESP connector.  Please let me know if there is anything you need to get this project moving along.  I am currently working a project that is ending this year which would benefit greatly from a CIGI / ESP connector piece.

John Wokurka