Menu

Doc request standard weather control practice

2009-08-26
2013-04-25
  • Matt McPheeters

Matt McPheeters - 2009-08-26

I remember reading a document (or a section of a document) that gave standard practices for IG control of cloud/weather regions.  We need to implement standard methodologies for translating CIGI Weather Ctrl Packets (V3) into runtime representations.  For instance, when the Scope of a Weather Ctrl Packet is set to Region, and the Region ID is given, how were the extents of that Region previously defined?  Or, when the Scope is set to Global, does that mean that all currently modeled clouds/weather should be removed from the Scene Graph and replaced with a representation of the new incoming values?  And how do you model weather that is Entity-attached?

So, you can see I have a lot of questions, but I can't locate a good resource/document that answers most of them.  Can someone point me in the right direction?

Cheers,
    -Matt

• Bill

Bill - 2010-01-15

Sorry this has taken more than a while. I am not aware of a document that treats standard practices for IG control of cloud/weather regions. If you run across it again please let me know. As for the questions you pose:

Q1. When the Scope of a Weather Ctrl Packet is set to Region, and the Region ID is given, how were the extents of that Region previously defined?

The weather region can be defined using the Environment Region Control data packet as described in Section 4.1.11 Environmental Region Control of CIGI 3.3 ICD. It might be noted that the ICD does not prohibit pre-definition of a weather region by the IG.

Q2. When the Scope is set to Global, does that mean that all currently modeled clouds/weather should be removed from the Scene Graph and replaced with a representation of the new incoming values?

No, any existing weather regions must be explicitly removed. The idea is that global and regional weather areas coexist. Within Section 4.1.11 Environmental Region Control of CIGI 3.3 ICD there are descriptions of how the global and regional weather areas should interact.

Q3. How do you model weather that is Entity-attached?

The Weather Control data packet is used to define entity-attached weather parameters. A description of how this is done can be found in Section 4.1.12 Weather Control of CIGI 3.3 ICD.