Python 3

debfreak
2008-12-13
2013-04-26
  • debfreak

debfreak - 2008-12-13

Hi,

since a few weeks python 3 is available and i want ask if this was the new language in which changingsong should programmed or should python 2.5 used to program something for changingsong.

• Martin Zibricky

Martin Zibricky - 2008-12-13

Hi debfreak,

I think it's too early considering using python 3. For changingsong it's better to stay with 2.5/2.6 at the moment.
      The main reason is that I'm not sure if the all libraries we'd like to use are available for python 3.
      I mentioned python 2.6, since I know that when you want to install easy dev tools for winxp with phonon multimedia framework, you need pyqt for python 2.6.

Python 2.6 contains a tool for converting code to python 3.

I hope there aren't big differences between 2.5 and 2.6.

Are you aware of anything special in python 3 whad could be very useful for us at the moment?

The case when I would suggest using python 3 is:
      - when all used libraries and dev tools are ready for python 3
      - we would like to implement i10n/i18n (localization/internationalization) support
        because in python 3 there aren't 2 types for strings.
        Now python contains two types: 'string' and 'unicode'. Unicode is able to handle non ascii characters.
      in py3 the type string is able to handle non ascii chars.

One thing I'd like to use in changingsong from python 2.6/3 is the format for documentation strings called
      'reStructured'.

What do you think?

Martin

• Jochen Weiss

Jochen Weiss - 2008-12-15

Martin, I agree.
      Let us use Python 2.6 for now. IMHO it's to early to switch to 3.0

• celsowm

celsowm - 2008-12-15

Python 2.6 have good compatilibilite with 3.0, we no have problems to migrate in future. See "Compatibility and Transition"  in http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3000/

But...Let us use Python 2.6 for now :D

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks