Bible modules from crosswire.org

2008-01-08
2013-04-26
  • Martin Zibricky

Martin Zibricky - 2008-01-08

At crosswire.org there are many Bible modules in many languages. There could be something like "Bible module manager" in OpenSong and with this manager it should be possible to download new Bible modules from internet to PC.
    Linux applications Gnomesword and BibleTime have this functionality.

• Martin Zibricky

Martin Zibricky - 2008-02-27

Do you think it is a good idea to keep support for current Bible format used by OpenSong?

I suggest using only Bibles in format from crosswire.org and create a tool for converting Bible modules from opensong's format to crosswire.org format. Using only one format is better for developer keeping source code simpler.

• Zach

Zach - 2008-02-28

I think whatever format used it needs to be easy to add other books also.  Some churches (or denominations) extensively quote from other sources in parallel to the bible.  One of those is from http://www.whiteestate.org/.  This database has thousands of books and commentaries in folio views format.  It might not be best to use their format for this program but an import function would make it be able to use (or import) at least half of the commercial libraries people may own.  Libronix is the other main commercial software.

• Martin Zibricky

Martin Zibricky - 2008-02-28

Personally: I doubt if the possibility citing other books than Bible might be useful.

Technically: It shouldn't be a problem.
      At crosswire.org you can get an open source programming library for manipulating not only Bibles but also other books. This library is mature and well established. It means there are some people around experimenting with the conversion from other formats to format used by this library. Several open source projects are using this library or the same format of modules used by this library:
      www.bibletime.info
      www.gnomesword.sf.net
      www.crosswire.org/bibledesktop

• Zach

Zach - 2008-03-31

I think there should be an option for users to load other books if they wish.  Obviously the books would have to be converted to the appropriate format.  This would make it most flexible.  It might be nice to have stuff like Strong's and some commentaries also.

Some speakers like to approach the subject from a biblical prospective and than address it from a purely scientific or secular prospective to prove their point that the bible agrees with science and logic.  If this could be made a book module manager with a bible and other book sections than it would be the most customizable for the user.