talk to the control point remotely

appoolloo
2004-05-14
2004-05-18
  • appoolloo

appoolloo - 2004-05-14

Hi there,

First I would like to express my appreciation to people who created such a great library and made it open source.

I'm trying to build a web-based GUI for a control point. The control point is built by removing swing code from the sample control point. It runs as a RMI server. Now I hit this problem - my GUI runs in a separate virtual machine(tomcat), I'm making remote calls to the control point. To get a list of devices, I can not simply call getDeviceList() because Device is not serializable. I can work around this by creating mimic classes for Device, Service and StateVariable etc and adding methods in my control point to return them. That's not my preferred solution because I have to duplicate things in the library and keep them up to date with it. I wonder if serialization is on the project plan. If you have any suggestions to my problem, please let me know.

Thanks a lot,

Cao

• Tim Malcolm

Tim Malcolm - 2004-05-14

One solution is to have your Control Point listen for HTTP requests, and return results as HTML. It works reasonably well, and in a home environment doesn't need to be as high-performance as a server like Tomcat.

• appoolloo

appoolloo - 2004-05-17

Thank you for your answer.

Can you be more specific please? I've read the example and the source code and believe a HTTP server is acompanied with the control point. It's automatically started when the control point is started. However I can't figure out how my client should talk to it. e.g. if I want to get a list of discovered devices, how should I construct the http request?

Cao

• appoolloo

appoolloo - 2004-05-18

Looks like my questions are answered in the "Presentation Page" thread :-)

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks