Menu

CEL and 2D

Help
2004-09-02
2012-12-05
  • Stéphane Vaxelaire

I'm just trying to create a little game to learn how to use CS. So far I think I'm gonna use CEL since it seems quite handy for a 3D game with entities.
    But can it be used for 2D drawing ? (like for a menu)
    Or do I have to use simple CS stuff to handle the 2D part ?
    Also is a camera needed to display 2D things ?

Any advice and code sample on simple 2D things would be great.

• Sulpherdun

Sulpherdun - 2006-01-20

I know this is a little late to start activity on this thread but it seems the right place.

I am mixing CEL and 2D with some difficulties in the AWS arena.

The history goes like this..Take awstut and add original windows to suit the task. After this I then mixed this with partedit with great results(seemingly both sets of HMI working together). After that, a mixing of partedit and isotest to get an application that gives me working 2D with straight CS 3D functionality with an iso view.

Those seasoned CS users are probably thinking..why go through this trouble? Well, basically for the same reasons as the person who started this thread...try to see how it all works...

So...here is my problem. I have started to take my hacked up applicaton and merge it with celtest(original Blend files are utilized) so it isn't exactly the same. In general, the application loads, the windows display but are not being updated(all celtest functionality is intact). I have identified two main sources of frustration with the approach:

first: celtest uses csApplicationFramework/csBaseEventHandler my hacked applciation does not

hacked application uses the classic Eventhandler/HandleEvent method while cel uses the onKeyboard method...there is an aws->HandleEvent...call in the return that is not in the celtest

It seems to me that the event handling technique is the culprit. I am doing debug to see the flow of function calls but nothing stands out other than what I have descibed

So...I am looking for anybody that has good experience in taking classic AWS techniques and applying them to the world of CEL...Any takers? Advice? Just reply and I'll keep this thread rolling.

The second part of this is that I realize that the CVS version is quite revamped in the GUI area. I see the addition of some aws classes that are not in the psuedostable release. This is great news for me. I have also seen CEGUI as well as an AWS2 being worked. For the hardcore CVS users the question is how stable is is WRT CEL? I have seen some references that recently CEL has been "broken" in the CVS world(this is unsupported rumor by the way). Also, is it more practical to use CEGUI? (AWS is fine for my needs but is there any added benefit from CEGUI that stands out from AWS once I get rolling again?)

Keep in mind I am looking for the basic answers. If the CVS is stable enough to throw basic blend files, handle basic keyboard events, as well as throw 2D HMI in screen then I would readily consider the upgade to the CVS version...I would just like to know that these types of functionality are well supported before I go and change my dev environment...suggestions?

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read and reply.