Scroll Wheel bindings

2012-09-02
2012-09-27
  • Antonis Tsolomitis

I have been editing my dtwmrc in order to add functions such as click_in_window-raise
    when "Point in windows to make active" (since by default it works only when you click on frame).

I would like to add scroll wheel support when the mouse wheel scrolls in the window. How do I set this up? It works by default only if the mouse scrolls on the window sidebar (dtfile, dtterm etc), although modern applications (like firefox) scrolls also when the mouse scrolls inside the window.

I guess I should set something like:

<Btn4Down> window f.XXXXXX

<Btn5Down> window f.XXXXXX

What is "XXXXXX" ?

Last edit: Antonis Tsolomitis 2012-09-03
  • Jon Trulson

Jon Trulson - 2012-09-04

That would be handy - I'm not sure what is required here. I had thought Xt translations would be required for this rather than dtwm f.actions. Would need to investigate.

• Jon Trulson

Jon Trulson - 2012-09-04

"(since by default it works only when you click on frame)."

Forgot this part...

I don't see this problem. I can click anywhere on a window to raise it. This is the default behavior.

• Antonis Tsolomitis

No, no, this is the default behavior if you have chosen the click to focus option.
    I am talking about the sloppy focus. If you have chosen to focus the window that has the pointer inside, you can not click in the lower window to bring it forward, unless you click on the frame.
    For people who prefer the focus to be where the pointer is, like me, I think the addition of this choice, to bring forward a window when you click inside, in the window options of the desktop would be a nice (and I guess easy) addition. I just lack the programming skills to write the needed code.

If you find a solution for the wheel please post it.

Last edit: Antonis Tsolomitis 2012-09-04
  • Antonis Tsolomitis

About scroll wheel, thank you, I will test it. But still, don't you think that this must be the default behavior of dtwm?

About focus. Click on the settings manager on the right part of the panel (I am at work on LTSP and unfortunately I can not have CDE yet on this, I do not remember if it is called settings manager.., is it dtconfig or dtstyle?), and in the window that opens, click to configure the windows. There,
    at the top of the window there are two possibilities.

Either "Click to focus" or the other one, where the focus follows the mouse. The default is "Click to focus". I am not used to this and prefer the other option, where a window is focused if the pointer is in the window. So switch for a moment to this setting.

Now focus changes as the mouse moves from one window to the other (without having to click anywhere).

Here is now the problem: we now want to raise a window. If you click inside a lowered window (or double click), the window does not get raised. It has focus (you clicked so the pointer is over it), but it is still below other windows. But if you click on the title bar of it, or on it's frame, the window gets raised.

I tried to make it clear. Is it? This setting must have an additional option (all desktops now have it) where you set the window to get raised when you click inside the window. I think this is a must have for people that prefer this kind of focus. It is easy to configure through dtwmrc, but if the interface provides it, it is even better...

• Peter Howkins

Peter Howkins - 2012-09-07

"This setting must have an additional option (all desktops now have it) where you set the window to get raised when you click inside the window. I think this is a must have for people that prefer this kind of focus. It is easy to configure through dtwmrc, but if the interface provides it, it is even better..."

Isn't this the "Raise Window When Made Active" button on the dtstyle -'Window' window ?

• Antonis Tsolomitis

No. You do not want this behavior anyway... The focus follows mouse is mainly used when you read from the raised window, but you write to the lowered one! So your mouse is on the lowered one so it is focused and you can type. But you do not want it to come automatically forward because you will lose sight of the raised window.
    For example, I often run pdflatex on the lowered dtterm without losing sight of my xdvi, or keep working on my tex file on emacs, as pdflatex takes it's time.

It is definitely not the same. Raise when active is usually annoying and people (at least those I know in my Department with gnome or kde or xfce) never choose to use it.

• Peter Howkins

Peter Howkins - 2012-09-07

Ah I see what you mean, click "anywhere in window" to raise with focus follows mouse. At the moment it is just the the title-bar, and window borders. It would definitely have to be optional, if someone came up with a patch for this behaviour I'm not against including it. Working out a decent way of testing all these options probably has to be thought up too.

• Antonis Tsolomitis

Great! I am happy it is now clear what I mean. Unfortunately I do not have programming skills so that I could provide a patch. I am a Prof. of Mathematics that I like CDE (it was my first graphics desktop many years ago in the US).

• Jon Trulson

Jon Trulson - 2012-09-09

About scroll wheel, thank you, I will test it. But still, don't you think that this must be the default behavior of dtwm?

Yes, I just haven't had the time to try it or implement it. Let me know if it works.

Last edit: Jon Trulson 2012-09-09
  • Jon Trulson

Jon Trulson - 2012-09-09

It is easy to configure through dtwmrc, but if the interface provides it, it is even better...

One issue with adding this as an option is translations to the other languages. Might make a good wiki article on how to accomplish this via dtwmrc for those that want it.

• Antonis Tsolomitis

OK, I will write it maybe as a configuration tip after I check scroll wheel (I am away from home right now with no access to CDE; it did not work on my Mandriva netbook (no icons on panel))

But, I have one comment about the translations. How are other desktops organize this? I understand what you say, but on the other hand translations should not be the reason for no change/improvement/enhancment at all. Somehow this must be organized. Maybe later, when other (higher priority) problems have been resolved.

• Jon Trulson

Jon Trulson - 2012-09-09

But, I have one comment about the translations. How are other desktops organize this? I understand what you say, but on the other hand translations should not be the reason for no change/improvement/enhancment at all.

The way I see others handle it is that prior to a release, the people who have committed to maintaining translations are warned, so they can begin the process. I see your point, though. I guess in cases where we have no one committed to translation maintenance (and so far we do not), they would just see the "C" version of a string.

• Antonis Tsolomitis

OK, I have tested the instructions for the scroll given in the above link for Solaris, and they do work with minor modifications. All except the Help Viewer. "All" includes dtterm, dtfile, dtpad, xman. Help Viewer is the only one that did not work.

So I could add a tip in the customizing CDE section of the wiki. How do I do that?

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks