Historical note on Decision Table Compilers

2004-08-02
2013-05-08
  • dave aikman

dave aikman - 2004-08-02

Glad to see your project. Had been watching for someone to do a decision table compiler.

My interest dates back to early / middle 1970s. We had a large financial model to do and created a complete application system for doing it. The result was AMS (Application Management System) with a large-scale decision table compiler, a language (and compiler: COBOL equivalent), and a complete runtime environment (with DB support).

Our Action names / statements could reference other tables / modules, so we could have a lot of (nesting) engineering structures. It was too early to know anything about the varieities of object-oriented structures and such. We also did not have direct relational approaches as a standard approach.

I will watch your work with interest. Did try "ccide.twyoung.com", but did not find it. My home setup is glitchy nowadays, so will try in a few days.

dave aikman (daveaikm@ix.netcom.com)

• Tom Young

Tom Young - 2004-08-08

Sorry ccide.twyoung.com not working.  I'll try to fix it.  (My Apache server is glitchy,)  Meanwhile,  www.ccide.com might work, but the DNS may not be in effect, yet.   Most everything is available from sourceforge. 

Nice to hear about your experiences.   Ccide was inspired by Barry
      Dyer's COBOL decision table processor,  Cope. 

While marked as 'Alpha', ccide itself is fairly mature, and seems
      to work well (at least on Linux/RH9).    I'm currently buried in
      autoconf, libtool, and dejagnu issues, trying to port to more platforms.   

• Patrick Sweetman

I have similar experience to the OP, with programming a Filetab spinoff called Rapidgen several decades ago and have been periodically so nostalgic for the simplicity and elegance of detabs that I gone Googling for modern implementations.

Nice to see there is still some interest in the topic.

Back in the old days the number of columns was limited by the number of bits in an integer, I think, but with 64 bit integers available now that restriction should be somewhat more relaxed.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks