Server Help !!

Help
Tj
2004-07-19
2004-08-09
  • Tj

Tj - 2004-07-19

I need to no y my server is not working i go to the command prompt and type in bzfs -conf sample.bat and i get bad argument "test"

• Frank Evers

Frank Evers - 2004-07-19

Obviously you have an error in your configuration file. It would be a good idea to provide us with more information. Which operating system, whats in your config file (literally)...

• Tj

Tj - 2004-07-19

i have os winxp and my config file is

-requireudp
                         -public my test server
                         -lagwarn 5
                         -lagdrops 10
                         -maxidles
                         -tkkr 10
                         -printscore
                         -prohibitsbots
                         -time manual
                         -fb
                         -mts 1000
                         -mps 100
                         -t
                         -j
                         +r
                         -a
                         -st 5
                         -sw 2

• Frank Evers

Frank Evers - 2004-07-19

-public my test server
                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
        there is your problem. u must say:
        -public "my test server"

otherwise "my" is considered as argument for the option -public, while "test" is assumed the next option.

• Tj

Tj - 2004-07-19

Now i am running a server and i can find my server in the list but other people cant.

• Frank Evers

Frank Evers - 2004-07-19

Plz keep in mind, that we can't help you if you don't give us a minimum of information!!!

try adding -publicaddr explicitly. Are you behind a firewall? Run bzfs with -d -d -d -d. You should be able to see how it connects to the listserver between:
        Sent ADD message to list server
        and
        Closing List server

pls give us the output.

• Tj

Tj - 2004-07-19

yes i have a firewall (mcafee) and my config is the same and i hate to say this but in the last forum i had no idea what thay were talking about!

• Frank Evers

Frank Evers - 2004-07-20

make sure your firewall allows connections to your servers port (tcp and udp). default is 5154, this is the port u want unless u specified another one in your config file.

learn how to configure bzfs!!

assumed your IP is 80.90.100.110 (yours will be other than this) add this to your configfile:

-publicaddr "80.90.100.110:5154"

go to http://www.whatismyip.com if you are unsure what your ip is

if your server is connectet to the internet via a router u also have to make sure that the router forwards the port to your server.

if all this wont help you should also add -d -d -d -d to the configfile and start bzfs in a "dosbox". a lot of output will be generated and you will have to search for the parts i told you in my prior answer.

If you still have no idea what i am talking about, you probably should give up the idea running a public server.

• Tim Riker

Tim Riker - 2004-07-20

note that -publicaddr is not required. It it useful if you have multiple interfaces on the same machine or if you would like to choose one of a number of dns names for that host.

-public "some text here"

is required. as well as being able to get to your server's port number and IP from the list server. If it cannot connect to you, it will not display your server.

When you run a client on the local network and see your server without the description, you are finding the server via a local bcast request, NOT from the server list. All servers listed on the public list server will have decriptions.

• Tj

Tj - 2004-07-20

Thank You for the help i figured out the bzfs but i still just have one small question. In my config file i made my server description to be "trevors server" but in the server list it is not "trevors server" its my ip address.

• Anonymous - 2004-08-09

Ive done all of that and i can play it on the server but its not in the server list and others cant play it. the .conf file looks like this:

-requireudp

-public "TEST"

-p 5159

-publicaddr "81.79.88.44:5159"

-d -d -d -d -j +r

#-mp 2,2,2,2,2

-ms 5

-passwd "test"

-world "Squares.map"

• Anonymous - 2004-08-09

Between where it says
      Sent ADD message to list server
      and
      Closing List server
      It says:

GET /db/?action=ADD&nameport=81.79.88.44:5159&version=BZFS1910&gameinfo=0028000500000000000000000000c800c800c800c800c800c800c0&build=1.10.6.20040516-RELEASE-W32VC71&title=TEST HPPT/1.1
      Host: db.bzflag.org
      Cache-Control: no-cache

• Tim Riker

Tim Riker - 2004-08-09

The list server is unable to get to your server. You can test this on IRC:

http://bzflag.org/wiki/CreatingAServer

Has some useful information on this topic and we'll be adding more over time.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks