Please HELP - Did Burn Delete All My Files?

Help
ronnyv
2007-08-11
2013-05-14
  • ronnyv

ronnyv - 2007-08-11

I am a mess, and the wisdom from this board is my last hope.

I wanted to use Burn to create a DVD from an ISO.  I mounted the ISO, loaded the files into Burn and selected Burn.  I was then prompted to "Select a location to save the DVD folder".  I assumed this was just prompting me for a folder where to save temp files or something while burning.  I thought nothing of it when I selected the root of Documents folder.

THEN, I received the error "There was a problem authoring the DVD".  I tried a couple times more...

It didn't take me long to realize that ALL the content in the folders I selected to "save the DVD folder" had been deleted. 

I am talking my entire DOCUMENTS folder was now empty.  Does anyone have any ideas why this happened and if its recoverable.  I am convinced these files have been permanently deleted.  I can't find them in spotlight. I am hoping someone will have an idea.

Since I made the fatal mistake of not backing up my files, this could set me back months with how many work files I lost.

Please Help.

Thank you.
    -Ron

• ronnyv

ronnyv - 2007-08-12

UPDATE:  I tried rebuilding the hard drive and directories using Disk Warrior.  No luck.  Couldn't recover anything.  Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks,
      Ron

Note:
      Macbook Pro
      80 GB HD
      2 GB RAM
      Mac OS 10.4.10

• Maarten Foukhar

Maarten Foukhar - 2007-08-13

Hi Ron, 

Burn should create a folder named after the lable used for the disc. 
      When it failes it should delete this folder.

Something apparently went wrong.
      I will try to reproduce this problem, if you have any extra information I should be aware of, it might help finding the problem. 

To recover deleted files, I know Norton has Unerase, I'm not sure if DiscWarrior has a option to find deleted files. 
      I had some luck using: Data Resue II >> http://www.prosofteng.com/products/data_rescue_info.php. 

Hope you will be able to recover your files and we can find the cause. 

Maarten Foukhar 
      Kiwi Fruitware

• Nate Zobrist

Nate Zobrist - 2008-06-27

I just ran into this same problem with 1.72u. Luckily it wasn't my whole documents folder.

• Bill Jezzard

Bill Jezzard - 2008-07-31

I just had the same thing happen. I didn't set up a separate folder and just used my movie folder, everything in it is gone gone gone and I have an extra 8.5 GB on my hard drive now so I'm pretty sure it's gone.
      Version 1.72u (14) Lucky for me it was only my movie folder.

• Bill Jezzard

Bill Jezzard - 2008-08-01

I should give some details about my system and what I was doing.
      My system:

Macbook Pro
      80 GB HD
      2 GB RAM
      Mac OS 10.4.11

The first time I tried to burn an avi file I didn't check the box to delete the [DVD?]folder. When Burn was creating the disk image I noticed that the percentage indicator read over 1000% and still going. I checked the image in finder and it was over 9 GB and still growing. Since the original avi was 449 MB I suspected mischief in the system so I canceled and everything was fine.  I tried it again but checked the delete folder box and when the percentage indicator got to 102% I figured it was going higher, I canceled and watched my Movie folder sucked into the ether.

• E.H

E.H - 2012-10-26

This has just happened to me. It was a really important folder with all my digital art files in and I can't find it anywhere on my system. I am aboslutely lost. I HAVE to get these files back. How can I do this? PLEASE HELP!

• Robert Walliczek

If you've lost files, use TestDisk (for NTFS formatted hard drives, such as those for Windows operating systems) and/or PhotoRec (for HFS+ formatted hard drives, such as those for Mac operating systems).

TestDisk
    PhotoRec

However, since you posted on October 26, I surmise that by now your hard drive has overwritten those sectors that were removed from the hard drive's file index.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks