ld can't load libbugle.so

Help
crjjrc
2008-02-08
2013-06-13
  • crjjrc

crjjrc - 2008-02-08

Hi. I'm running the 20080103 release of BuGLe, and I can't get gldb-gui or gldb to link in libbugle.so.  I get this message:

ERROR: ld.so: object 'libbugle.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.

I've tried both a local installation within my non-root account and I tried a system-wide installation using the default paths.  I get the same message with both setups.  I've tried specifying "LD_PRELOAD=/absolute/path/to/libbugle.so" before the executable name with no further success.  I've tried specifying the lib's folder in /etc/ld.so.conf.  If I don't use gldb or gldb-gui, I seem to be able to link just fine with LD_PRELOAD to run some filters.

All this is on Fedora 8.  If I can provide any more info to help figure this problem out, please let me know.  Thanks!

- Chris

• Bruce Merry

Bruce Merry - 2008-02-08

Hi

I'm not sure what the problem is, perhaps you can give me some more information:

1. Exactly what command are you running that gives the error?
      2. Is it occurring when you run the command to start gldb[-gui], or when you select Run within the debugger?
      3. Are you running a 64-bit system, and if so, is there any kind of mix of 32- and 64- bit things?
      4. When doing things without gldb-gui (where you say it works), do you have to pass the full path or the does just LD_PRELOAD=libbugle.so with no path work?

Bruce

• crjjrc

crjjrc - 2008-02-12

gldb-gui appears to be working now, and I can't explain the change, apart from a reboot and an updated NVIDIA driver.  Sorry.  The command I was running was "gldb-gui anyopenglprogram".  The linker message didn't appear until I selected Run.  I'm only on 32-bit.  And currently I do not need to pass the full path when defining LD_PRELOAD.  When I had user-level install, I did need to specify the full path.

Thanks for your response!  If I can recreate the error, I'll post more info.

- Chris

• Bruce Merry

Bruce Merry - 2008-02-12

I think gldb-gui launches the command by setting LD_PRELOAD to just libbugle.so. So if your system setup doesn't have libbugle.so in a default path then that would probably cause the error. I'll make a mental note to document this in the next release.

• crjjrc

crjjrc - 2008-02-13

Well, I've removed the system-wide install and have only a user-level install now (using --prefix=$(HOME)/blah), and it's still working fine.  In a previous version, gldb-gui ran just fine without having to twiddle with /etc/ld.so.conf for a user-level install.  I don't know how it found it, for I see it set in gldb/gldb-common.c as you say.

Thanks.

- Chris

• crjjrc

crjjrc - 2008-04-03

I realize now that the cause of my problem was not running the ldconfig utility after setting the path in /etc/ld.so.conf.  I didn't realize ld used a cache to locate shared libraries, which explains why a reboot made a user-level install start working suddenly.

- Chris