Deleted categories still show in Reports

General
2012-08-03
2012-12-10
  • David Stone

David Stone - 2012-08-03

I originally created a parent with several sub categories in My Budget on the income side. I wanted to change the categories to a different name.  I think I may have deleted the original categories (not sure how I did that) and they disappeared from My Budget.  However, they still show up when I generate an Income and Expense Report.  The problem is that they carry the original budget dollars in the Report even though they are no longer part of my finances.  Worse yet, I replaced the categories with newly named categories so the Reports double count the budget numbers.  Can I get the old items out of the Reports?

• Wyatt

Wyatt - 2012-08-03

If you delete a category which contains transactions, the category will not be removed, but will only be marked as deleted.  This is by design; you don't want to orphan a bunch of transactions.

To actually remove the category, you must do the following:
    1) In View preferences, enable "Show deleted categories"
    2) Undelete the category
    3) Delete all transactions from within the given category
    4) Delete the category.

Since you have to manually delete all transactions, this is obviously only feasible if you only have a handful of transactions in the given category.  If, for instance, you have years worth of data, you cannot truly remove the category (nor would it be desirable to do so).

Hope this helps

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks