Please keep it simple(r)

General
datadan
2011-04-21
2012-12-10
  • datadan

datadan - 2011-04-21

Just wanted to say how much I appreciate Buddi. It's simplicity was the major attraction for me. I like programs that don't try to do everything, but rather do a few things well. I developed a system using Buddi's prepaid accounts that was instrumental in our families' survival of tough financial times (reduced work hours concurrent with 2 kids in college). That being said, of course I do have a complaint/suggestion. Since starting with Buddi about a year and a half ago it seems like the upgrades have added unnecessary complication: chief among these being all the columns under the MyBudget tab. I don't understand what all the -/-(0.00) stuff is trying to indicate. The website doesn't seem to explain it very well. Maybe I haven't looked in the right place. Anyway, I vote for fixing bugs/annoyances while keeping the program as simple as possible. Thanks.

• Wyatt

Wyatt - 2011-04-21

Thanks for your comments.

The - (0.00) / - indicates three things:  The first field is the budgeted amount (just like before); the bracketed amount is the total budgeted rollup if the given category has children.  (I.e. if a given category has a budgeted amount of $100 and has two children with $50 budgeted for each, the bracketed amount will show $200 ($100 + $50 + $50).  Note that this was always the case (or at least it has been the case for a long time, to show the rollup in brackets).

The final value has been added more recently, and is the amount which has been spent / earned (for expense / income categories respectively), so that you can see a running 'dashboard' of what your finances are like overall.

I can look into adding this renderer as an option in the future, but the vast majority of people who I have talked with like it.  Anyway, when I get some time I can look into the effort involved in making it an option.

Cheers

• Wyatt

Wyatt - 2011-06-13

Hello,

FYI I just released a new version today which includes (among other things) the ability to turn off the 'current budget' behaviour; by doing this, it will revert back to the old behaviour of showing only the budgeted values for selected category and (if they exist) the rolled up sum of all children categories + the selected node.

Cheers

• datadan

datadan - 2011-06-17

Thanks much!  I will try it.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2011-06-28

Hello. How I can get information about the equations that you use to calculate  the budget and the difference per week? Please excuse my english

• Wyatt

Wyatt - 2011-06-28

I don't understand what you are trying to get at… but all the source code is available, and you can find all calculations there.  Download http://buddi.digitalcave.ca/buddi.src.tgz for the most recent version.