• Brian Marks

Brian Marks - 2011-05-08

Installation is not working for me.  I have the latest (64-bit) oorexx and the Java test from the web says I have the latest Java.  Operating system is XP-64.  I believe my first problem was with the line java "-cp.JavaInfoBSF4RexxInstallation | rxqueue" which is after call getJavaProps in setupBSF,rex.  I suspect java was not being found because my copies of java.exe are in C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64 and C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin and those were not on the path.

Java -version worked when executed from a directory containing java.exe

I tried altering  SetupAllAndRun.rex from cmd.eSetupBSF="setupBSF.rex " to cmd.eSetupBSF="setupBSF.rex C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64" but then install failed and closed the command window without giving me a chance to see what the failure was.

However, I got past this hurdle by adding C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64 to my PATH.

Install then failed further on with "path to could not be found".  I had installed Open Office with all defaults but I don't have a directory "",  I have one called "C:\Program Files (x86)\ 3" (and it does not contain a LibreOffice)

Suggestions for what to do would be welcome.

• Rony G. Flatscher

Hi Brian,

first my apologies of not having reacted earlier. Forgot to explicitly "monitor" these forums, so I have not received any notification of entries.

Ad your question: from the information you supply it seems to be the case that you have the 64-bit ooRexx and the combined 32-/64-bit Java installed. OpenOffice/LibreOffice on Windows is only available in 32-bit at the moment. Therefore you will have to match the bitness by doing the following steps:

- uninstall BSF4ooRexx
    - uninstall 64-bit version of ooRexx
    - install 32-bit version of ooRexx
    - make sure no instance of LibreOffice is running and install BSF4ooRexx again.

Your configuration of 64-bit Windows supports 32-bit applications with the "SysWOW64" (Windows on Windows-64) infrastructure. If a 32-bit application is executed 64-bit Windows will create an environment suitable for 32-bit applications, in the process even dynamically reconfiguring the file-system in parts! The BSF4ooRexx installation program should be able to deal with this (actually Windows has a naughty, little bug which the installation takes care of). There should be no need to add that directory to the PATH environment variable.

Ad 32- vs. 64-bit ooRexx: currently (while the world moves to 64-bit, but has tons of 32-bit apps) I would strongly suggest to use the 32-bit ooRexx even on 64-bit systems.

• Brian Marks

Brian Marks - 2011-05-19

Thanks Rony.  The examples are working for me now.  It seems that many users are saying "I'll use only 32 bit because there is a lot of that about".  That reduces the incentive for software developers to provide 64 bit.  (e.g no Flash Player for 64 bit released yet).   I obviously misjudged how long it would take for 64-bit to become the norm, when I bought my 64-bit capable hardware in 2005.