Q3Set::load()
    Couldn't open file ../art/md3/cloud//lower.md3
    Couldn't open file ../art/md3/cloud//upper.md3
    Couldn't open file ../art/md3/cloud//head.md3
    Load aimation params
    Segmentation fault

• Michael Cook

Michael Cook - 2007-01-23

The error you are receiving is simply because we haven't included the quake3 model set we've been using for testing in the release.  We can't include the models because we don't own the rights to them, but the models are freely available from Polycount, and you can figure out where to put them by looking at the above output (in art/md3/).

We probably should have removed the quake pieces flag since this is only used for preliminary testing at this time, but we didn't expect that anyone would find out about it. :)  So to sum it up, if you'd like to try the quake 3 set, download the models from polycount, just don't expect anything too impressive since that code isn't guaranteed to be in a working state until we explicitly release it.

• Xevil

Xevil - 2007-01-24

at which url of polycount ?

• Michael Cook

Michael Cook - 2007-01-24

Polycount is down for maintenance right now, but once the site comes back up I'll post links to each of the models we used.

-Mike

• hybrid

hybrid - 2007-08-01

Well polycount is still down and after more than 6 months I kind of lost hope it's q3-model section will ever come up again.
      Plus most people who come here are probably able to use searchengines. I did and I found and downloaded that cloudstrife-model. I extracted the Sound/Player/Cloud and models/players/cloud directories out of that pk3 into art/mod3 and fired brutalchess up again, hoping for it to complain about the next missing model. But it didn't, it just hung on loading and didn't say anything. Yay.

So can you please at some time release a list of the models, needed to make use out of the integrated switch --pieces=quake.
      Additionaly: a) Could you make it possible to store that model-crap in ~ ? I couldn't find a dot-direcory or a dot-file from brutalchess in my homedir. Stracing brutalchess I still couldn't find out, where brutalchess saves the options and shit.
      b) brutalchess has md3-support, why is there no support for pk3-files? Should be rather easy to implement. If you don't want to do this because it might add another dependency (like libarchive for instance) then imo a little help or a little howto would be helpful for brutalchess. Because I am sure not everyone has played Quake3 (everyone should though :D) and probably not everyone knows that pk3-files are nothing more than zipped archives.
      c) Is there anywhere a howto on how to make your own tileset? I'm not talking about modelling new models, I mean using existing models to create a set that will be accessible via --pieces=mytileset. I couldn't find anything about that.

Jeeze, this chess game really stands out of the mass of today's chess games. I think it could attract many, many people if it made use of it's features that make it stand out. But without them it's just another chess simulator. Just like the other 20bazillion other chess simulators out there.