We are delighted to announce the availability of BRL-CAD 7.18.2!
The biggest change provided in this release is initial support for reading some older (platform-dependent) binary v4 geometry database files regardless of their originating platform. While our current (platform-independent) v5 geometry file format has been the default since release 6.0 in 2002, there are numerous v4 files in prevalence that could only be read on a matching platform. Binary-incompatible v4 geometry database files can now be opened read-only within MGED where geometry can be inspected, drawn, exported via the "keep" command, and updated to the newer format via the "dbupgrade" command. In order to override the otherwise automatic binary-incomaptible v4 detection, MGED's "opendb" command provides a new -f flip option and all applications can override behavior with a LIBRT_V4FLIP environment variable.
MGED receives several changes in this release including fixing a bug that was causing text edit commands such as "ted" to fail. MGED will now also display attributes sorted by name for improved readability. Also introduced are numerous binary platform integration and usability enhancements for Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, and other Linux platforms. Included in Jordi Sayol's porting efforts are new desktop icons, menu items, mime-type association, and more. Other bug fixes, enhancements, and changes since release 7.18.0 include:
* improved Fedora platform support with new menus, icons
* fixed nirt units command reporting all units as invalid
* dbupgrade support for binary-incompatible v4 files
* new opendb -f endianness flip option for corrupt v4
* new mime-type geometry association for Debian platform
* improved Debian platform support with new menus, icons
* improved mged 'ls' command support for v4 databases
* dbconcat supports title, units, & color table import
* 'tree -a' command lists object attributes
* fixed Mac build failure running asc2g before install
* fixed g_diff color table difference false positive
* fixed asc2g color table bug parsing 'color' lines
* 'attr show' command displays attributes sorted by name
* fixed ted command to work using new editor support
* fixed uninstalled text editor invocation bug in mged
* support for comment lines at beginning of .asc files
* disabled adrt_master and adrt_slave tools
* ported pixblend image processing tool to Windows
* upgraded libpng to version 1.4.5
* upgraded zlib to version 1.2.5
* removed shell execution ! command from vdeck
Special thanks go out to all of our contributors for this release including Jordi Sayol, John Anderson, Tom Browder, Daniel Roßberg, Erik Greenwald, Cliff Yapp, and Sean Morrison. Please help development improve (particularly for the new v4 support) by reporting any issues to the BRL-CAD bug and support trackers. This is a backwards-compatible release.
Please visit the Sourceforge project website to download the latest version: http://sf.net/projects/brlcad
See the BRL-CAD website at http://brlcad.org for more information.
Log in to post a comment.