From: Cook, Kathy <kathy.cook@...>
To: brlcad-users@... <brlcad-users@...>
Sent: Thu Jan 21 10:21:46 2010
Subject: [brlcad-users] problem with wcodes / rcodes
I have a large Pro/E model that I used the convertor to create a brlcad model. This has a very deep hierarchy. I had used xpush to get individual components instead of instances and needed to renumber the region ids. I have used wcodes before to create a list of all components and renumber that file and read back into mged with rcodes and this has worked successfully in the past with simpler models.
In this case I have 589 regions. I tried wcodes, on Linux with the version 7.14.8 that came with AJEM, and got only 544 regions. I used idents and could get all 589 components. Comparing the 2 outputs, it appears that ones with the longest hierarchy (levels and length of names, don’t know which is the issue or both). I reworked the idents output to the wcodes format and renumbered the idents. I then used rcodes to read it back in. When I checked, only the 544 parts that could be written with wcodes actually changed regionid (which makes sense). I had to individually export (wcode) the problem parts from a lower level in the tree and fix the regionids and rcode them.
I had also tried this model with the newest brlcad for windows and neither wcodes or idents extracts the correct number of parts. It extracted even less parts than the Linux 7.14.8 version.