how to install on DEBIAN

Help
2005-03-02
2013-04-22
  • Nobody/Anonymous

i am starter on linux and i don't know, how to instal it on debian linux.

• David Vandewalle

I just built the tarball release on debian (testing).  The only thing that didn't work out of the box (that the configure didn't notice) was the lack of the development package for ncurses.  After I added that, things worked ok.

--
      so after you make sure you have the ncurses stuff (I think the package name was libncurses5-dev) all you need to do is the standard:
      ./configure
      make

--

I have not yet gotten a clean CVS build.   Having link problems with the lex runtimes. :-(  Have not enough time to puzzle through it yet.

The binary build just plain didn't work (wrong shared lib versions), but this wasn't much of a surprise.ust built the tarball release on debian (testing).

• Nobody/Anonymous

[quote]I just built the tarball release on debian (testing). The only thing that didn't work out of the box (that the configure didn't notice) was the lack of the development package for ncurses. After I added that, things worked ok.

--
      so after you make sure you have the ncurses stuff (I think the package name was libncurses5-dev) all you need to do is the standard:
      ./configure
      make
      [endquote]
      I haven't had any success with this, where does one run ./configure from?
      I have successfuly extracted the tarball to /usr/brlcad/ and I have added /usr/brlcad/bin to my search path. I can run machinetype.sh and get the appropriate responses, but I cannot find setup.sh anywhere on my computer. So, I get to the setup.sh step of the installation instructions and can go no further. I also have had no success running ./configure from any of the brlcad directories.
      Any help would truly be appreciated.

• Sean Morrison

Sean Morrison - 2005-05-16

It sounds like you have one of the releases before version 7 like release 6 or release 4.4, etc as there is no longer any setup.sh script or directions that should even still refer to setup.sh.

The current version is 7.2.4 available here at http://sf.net/projects/brlcad under the Files section. 

On a side note to the parent post, ncurses-dev should no longer be required either as brl-cad will build and install a simple termlib that satisfies our needs (or it'll use a system termlib/termcap/curses/ncurses etc if it finds one).

• Sean Morrison

Sean Morrison - 2005-05-16

I did find reference to install.sh in the old html manual documentation (please don't refer to that..) .. so if that's what you're reading, my apologies.  Refer to the top level README and INSTALL files of the source distribution.

After re-reading your message it sounds like you already installed a binary distribution.  If you extracted a /usr/brlcad, that means you have a binary distribution and once you add /usr/brlcad/bin to your path, you are "done".  Run mged or rt or any of the other 400 tools if you like.  You don't need to run configure or autogen.sh or setup.sh or machinetype.sh or gen.sh, etc..  You're done.

• phats_O

phats_O - 2005-05-16

I just wanted to add to the previous post - I am running debian 2.6.10-adeos .

• phats_O

phats_O - 2005-05-16

Wow, that was an incredibly fast response. Thank you.
      O.K. I'm done.
      That was very much not the answer I was expecting.
      I'll try it out, and get back to you if I have anymore difficulties.
      Thanks again.

• phats_O

phats_O - 2005-05-16

Works like a charm!
      Thanks again.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks